Fitbit?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrachelle87, May 24, 2015.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 24, 2015

I am thinking about buying fitbits for my daughter and I. I know I want one that allows me to challenge others. I also know I want the band. Anyone use them? Which ones? Pros or cons? And cheapest places to buy them?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 24, 2015

I have one. But I find that I put it around my ankle or in my pocket. Hubby got ours at local store.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 24, 2015

I have the FitBit flex...it's about $100. It tracks my steps and sleep patterns. It syncs easily to my iPhone. A colleague just got the FitBit charge...it does what mine does, plus functions as a watch and alerts you to phone calls...I don't need either of those functions so I'm not 'upgrading'. Prices tend to be pretty much the same regardless of where you purchase.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 24, 2015

I think you can use 30% at Kohl's on them. You would have to double check. Cza that's what we have too..flex.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 24, 2015

I like the Zip because I can just hook it to my bra strap. Never once misplaced or lost it. I heard some people get irritated with the bands around their wrist. I think Best Buy has a set of 2 for cheaper than buying just one but I got mine from the Fitbit site. I also would rather not have the one that has to be charged because some of my friends end up forgetting to charge it so then it's not usable for a while.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 24, 2015

Do you have the ability to challenge others? Do you find it helps?

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 24, 2015

I think the challenges are great. You have to "friend" people and then can invite them/get invited to challenges. There is a group of women that routinely challenge me and I know that I don't want them to beat me with steps (they are somewhat snarky at times) so I push myself to get more steps sometimes :lol:
    If anyone wants more Fitbit friends send me a PM!

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 24, 2015

I have a zip. I loved it at first, but then I started having issues with it after only about 2 months. From reading reviews online apparently this is not uncommon. Some days it would just not track my steps at all- after a full day at school it would say I had something like 150 steps, or it would just turn off/not respond when I tapped it. Then the next day it would be totally fine, but it was hit or miss. I just stopped wearing mine because I got so frustrated with it. When it did work, it showed me that I was very easily getting my 10,000 steps on work days, but was a lot lazier on the weekends! I've thought about trying to get another one but I don't think it's worth the money, especially since the last one broke so quickly. It's a fun gadget, but if you're looking to use it for weight loss (which I was) I don't think just doing a bit more walking each day is going to make a difference unless you have a very significant amount to lose and are very sedentary to begin with.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 24, 2015

I have the Charge. A few of us at work have a weekly challenge. It's very motivating!

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 24, 2015

I had the Zip, but I was having to change the battery every 3 weeks. I got upgraded to a One for Mother's Day. It has a rechargeable battery. I love it! The only FitBit I would stay away from us one you can only wear on your wrist. My friends who have those do not get accurate step counts.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 24, 2015

I have the flex and wear it on my wrist. It's pretty accurate. I love being able to challenge others. I use it to track sleep and steps. BF has one for his pocket. Or I should say had. He was always losing it. He finally lost it for good last week.

I've had mine since Christmas. I wear it every day unless I'm charging it. It never bothers me and I was not a jewelry wearer before.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 24, 2015

Oh and you can get really cute covers for them on etsy to make them look like a nice bracelet.

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 24, 2015

My daughter and I bought the flex today. We got them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond with 20% off coupons. They were $80 a piece.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 25, 2015

Well, she hit her 5,000 step goal for the day. I only reached 3,000 + steps. But we didn't start until around 6 p.m. tonight.