Fit untruth

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by InNeed, Oct 5, 2006.

1. InNeed

InNeed New Member

Oct 5, 2006

I have been a special education teacher for going on three years. That whole time I spent at one district. I was an autistic support teacher. At the beginning of this year after asking for a transfer( not relivant that I know) I was told that someone had made an accusation against me. The district took info back and forth and at our third meeting I was told that they were going to have a meeting that would determine if they would be firing me. I don't know what to do. What was said was untruths and twisting of facts. But being others opinions I don't know how to fit.I am looking for a lawyer but I don't know what else to do. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

3. thelonius

thelonius Rookie

Oct 5, 2006

Hello InNeed,

If I were you, I would give them my resignation before they would get to me (and my sanity!). My guess is that you might happen to be one of their most liked teacher, and seeing you go, seems to be an insult. For three years, I can "safely assume" that you maintained a satisfactory rating, and never had any negative incidents against your record. Perhaps, it might be a means to find just cause to let you go -- but not without a fight.

I was in a similar situation as you were years ago when I was a special ed. teacher at a school district in the Bronx. Instead of the accusations that you mentioned, the administrators began to intimidate me when I started asking for a transfer to another district. They would walk in my classroom, unannounced, pace around, look at my notes on the board, look at my lesson plans, briefly observe my curricular practices, and then leave. The above-mentioned were something that I was already used to anyway, but I became suspicious when they were doing it more often than normal -- sometimes, up to three times per day.

I didn't know better at that time. The administrative assistant would take away my prep periods, and appoint me to prep someone else. I got injured after a student slammed the door, hitting the back of my head in the process. While recovering at home, as per directed by my physician, rumors spread in school that I was taking advantage of the situation. Corporal punishment charges were brought up against me for breaking up an altercation involving 5 youngsters. All of this took place within one month, after 3 1/2 years with a satisfactory rating and a clean record. The "ticker" finally came when the principal made an insulting remark behind closed doors at the office. Since my transfer request seemed unlikely at that point, I gave them my two weeks notice. No one could touch me afterwards.

I was fortunate to be interviewed and get a new teaching job, two days after I gave my resignation. My old school threatened to revoke my license when they found out that I was seeking employment with another school. I simply replied that it was a private school, and that they could go ahead and cancel my city license, but they could never touch my state license. I left the school peacefully on my last Friday there, and immediately started at the new school that Monday!

Good luck.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 8, 2006

You do belong to a union, right? Whether you are tenured or not, your union rep. should be involved. Discuss with him/her.

5. thelonius

thelonius Rookie

Oct 8, 2006

Dear Emily,

If you're referring to me, yes, I used to belong to a union. The union rep. had been by my side a few times, and had my share of filed grievances with them. Unfortunately, the administrators found their way around to give me holy (h-e-double hockey sticks) back, and it made me not want to enjoy working there any longer. Looking back after all these years, leaving that school (and district) was the best decision I had ever made!