Fish Theme

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by RaeLynn, Aug 14, 2007.

1. RaeLynn

RaeLynn Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

Hello,
    I am teaching kindergarten this year and I have decided my theme will be FISH (ocean, sea aninals).

I plan on putting up a bulletin board for art, spelling, and student of the week. I am looking for any ideas for decorating, bulletin boards, and of course PICTURES.

3. CharlotteKinder

CharlotteKinder Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I have a fish bowl set that I bought at the teacher store.. I'm sure you could find it anywhere. It's 11 fish bowls, 0-11, and it has the number on it, the number word and that many fish in the bowl. the kids love it and use it year round!

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

5. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Aug 14, 2007

Here's a fish activity. I read the book "Swimmy" and we talk about how the fish worked together. Then we talk about how our class needs to work together and be a team. Then I give each student a small outline of a fish on cardstock. They color it with watercolor pencils and then brush water on it. Then I put their fish up together on a bulletin board so that they look like the big fish in "Swimmy." I haven't done it this year yet, but they enjoyed it last year.

6. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 14, 2007

One year I made a fishing game, I die cut fish, put different numbers on one side and a paper clip on the other, then attached a magnet to some yarn to a dowel rod. The students then went "fishing" and had to tell what number was on the fish. You could also use sight words, letters, etc. on the fish.

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 19, 2007

Well for prek I did ocean in a bag. I took 1 ziploc snack size bag and filled it with sand and one seashell, and took another ziploc bag sandwich size and we filled it with 7 scoops of blue hair gel (from a big tub I got at the dollar store- 2 per table) We put little fish erasers inside this bag and if the kids wanted another shell or rock, and some glitter, we then put the sand bag inside the water bag and sealed the bags and put some starfish stickers and fish stickers on the water bag. It was the highlight of the year. They loved it- super messy, but it made the classroom smell really good. Maybe since this is k it would be better suited for a field day when parents are around to help.

Another thing I like is in the discovery table to put shaving cream with blue food coloring- its like the foam from the surf- add some mini fish to it and its a lot of fun

I also made a board game- I went online and found an ocean scene I liked and printed it out on 8 pages and pasted it to a posterboard and then made the pathway with scallop shell printouts in all diff colors- brown was stuck in the mud (miss a turn), red was go back one (stung by a jellyfish maybe?) green was move up one- ate nutritious food. The goal was to reach grandma rainbow fish in the middle. we used fish stickers with the back still attached as well as fish shaped erasers I got at dollar tree. I also decorated the board with more fish stickers and laminated the board. It lasts forever and it is childsize so its exciting

Another ocean theme I like to use- is the caught being good board- where you reward friendly or whatever behaviors based on what you want emphasized

I also like to make a sand scene with just a piece of construction paper and glue and dribble sand on top of the glue its pretty interesting

After reading rainbow fish it is fun to discuss and act out behaviors and actions we like in our friends. Sometimes we make puppets first and put on a little production after lunch where the puppets take center stage

We also liked to classify if an item was a sea creature, sea plant or sea shell

Also in the discovery table I let each student pick 3 items (toys) from within the classroom to see what sinks and what floats

We also invented our own sea creatures and pretended to take on the life of an existing sea creature and act out how we would move, eat, and where we would sleep.

For math we estimated how many sea shells were in each jar

Here is a good discussion starter- How would you explain the difference between life on land and life under the sea?

Pretend you are a fish- what would you do first? Use this for a journal starter and have the students illustrate it.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 20, 2007

did you go to Michael's craft store, they had stuff on sale for the sea and fish theme

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

10. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

11. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Aug 21, 2007

Yep, mitten, that's like mine. Only yours is much cuter! I think I'm going to have to steal your title this year! Cute!

12. Sina

Sina Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I just did a ocean theme and found great ideas on Kidssoup.com click on the link Ocean.

I signed up for the member site but the free site has some cute ideas too.