Fish question

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by AndreaIL, Aug 10, 2004.

1. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 10, 2004

Kind of a goofy question, but I don't know who else to ask!

I teach at a parochial school, and the teachers move throughout the day, not the students. My "homeroom" is the 8th grade, so the 8th grade kids are in my classroom all day long, except for lunch and gym. The room is white cinder block--- boooring! I try to dress it up with bright bulletin boards, plants, and lots of posters, but I've been thinking about adding a small fish tank as well. Nothing elaborate, just some small goldfish and maybe a few other freshwater fish.

My question is, how time consuming would that be? I'm hoping to hear from others who have fish tanks as well. I'm not worried about the food issue- they make those food pellets that last for a whole weekend, or "vacation" pellets that last a couple weeks (so the fish can eat during Christmas break, spring break, etc.). I just don't want to spend 2 hours cleaning the tank each week, and before I purchase anything, I'm just wondering how much maintenance fish actually take.

Thanks!

3. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 10, 2004

I used to have a 10 gallon tank, which fit perfectly on top of my legal sized file cabinet. I don't remember having to clean the tank very often--may-be every 3-4 weeks. If you can put in a "sucker fish" or some other variety that likes to eat the "yucky" stuff, it will stay cleaner longer. I stopped doing fish only because I'm in a portable and in Florida. Much of the year it gets too hot in the portable--and I got tired of transferring them for the weekend. After I "boiled" a set one weekend (when I thought it was cool enough for them) I gave it up. Good Luck! I have pre-k kids--with 8th graders they should be able to help with much of the cleaning process.

4. SpanishSRTA

SpanishSRTA Rookie

Aug 10, 2004

My 2nd grade classroom had a very small fish tank with a beta fish. These are very easy to take care of. The tank does not require much classroom space or an air pump. I usually just dumped out the water every two weeks and wiped down the inside of the container. Plus, the kids loved taking care of the fish and taking turns feeding it each day. I actually had volunteers to take the fish home over christmas and spring break! Hope this helps!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2004

I have the same - a single beta fish in a large fish bowl. He is lovely to look at and very easy to care for. Feed daily, clean tank (just rinse out) and refill with treated water weekly.

6. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 10, 2004

thanks

Thanks everyone- I will look into a beta fish. I am in no way an animal expert, so this has really helped. :)

7. emyb

emyb Guest

Aug 13, 2004

[​IMG]

If you would like to get a Beta, You might want to try the Beta/vase combination. It is a symbiotic relationship where the plant takes up the nutrients from the fish waste. Water changes are very infrequent (unless you over feed). I got all my stuff a Wal-mart - a big and cheap glass vase for about $4.00 from the arts and crafts section, ribbon from the sewing section 75c. I used colored glass beads as gravel, (also in the arts and crafts section) $1 a bag. I picked up the beta in the pet section for a dollar and the plant in the garden center for $3. If you need help ask an associate at Wal-mart, they used to have directions on how to make it and the types of plants you can use, or you can visit this web site

directions for beta vase

I also found a web site for a classroom project where the students make the beta vases
    http://teacherexchange.mde.k12.ms.us/teachnett/barlow.htm