first year totally lost

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by newtoteach, Jul 24, 2007.

1. newtoteach

newtoteach Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I have been an abuse counselor for the state of florida for the past two years and have transitioned to teaching through certification. I have subsituted for a few months but have no other exp. I just got my first job (yay!) at a premier arts school teaching 6th grade world history. I am clueless about where to start! I know nothing about lesson plans or how school works-I start in a few days for teacher planning and I am so nervous! if anyone can offer any good advice or can remember how it feels to transfer to a completely new industry, please let me know, thanks

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

Get your textbooks right away, get your states content expectations right away, get the schools curriculum map for your subject right away.....then find another teacher of the same subject in your school then ask them to be your mentor/helper (the school may assign you a mentor) Ask if you have access to History ALIVE! materials, they will really help you

Next get online, once you know the topics you have to cover and do a search for "Africa lesson plans" etc, download every single free lesson you can, try these websites

http://www.coreknowledge.org/CK/index.htm
    http://tutorial.teachtci.com/

ONce you have some resources you will feel better, do not try to plan every lesson, plan a few weeks at a time, knowing things may take longer than you realize.

Good luck

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

You have received good advice from the last poster. I also want to stress getting your textbooks and course outline/map if there is one available. Your biggest challenge will be pacing your lessons. If you are planning with other teachers you will most likely all follow the same schedule more or less.

It's natural to feel a bit overwhelmed, but once you get your text, try to sketch out/outline the topics.... highlight the main ideas and then backtrack and "fill in" with activities and other supplementary materials.

Remember, you want to make the subject come alive. You don't want to lecture from the text. Use it as an opportunity to teach the kids how to take notes. Use post it's and have them jot down notes after reading text material... then have them form groups combine their notes and summarize what they got out of the chapter. Think about making up study guides for the chapters.

There is so much you can do to make it an exciting and challenging year.

Good Luck.

5. missenthusiasm

missenthusiasm Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Dear new to teach,
    I KNOW how you feel. I was a Kindergarten teacher and I'm moving to a new school where the standards are much higher and to the 4th grade level. I've felt like I didn't know where to start with 4th gr. but I did the easy things first-put up bulletin boards that applied to this year's theme and to 4th gr. work. Then I started looking over the books. What really makes me feel better is going over the GLEs and making notes for each GLE where it is applied in which book. I've decorated my classroom to make it feel more like home so it doesn't feel so foreign and it impresses people that I'm "at work" and ambitious. I also get so know other teachers and the principal as they drop in or go about their work and I have time to ask the principal questions. I've also asked a retired 4th gr. teacher to visit with me and help me "map out" my year generally and my first day especially. Hope this helps.
    Missenthusiasm

6. newtoteach

newtoteach Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks!! I will be looking into the websites you referred and taking your advice.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 25, 2007

Post a picture of "Person of the week" someone from history, current events, politics, etc.. and give some clues about that person. Students name the person and write a couple sentences about the person, or what their significance is.
    ****And Scholastic's books of history plays are pretty good, too. I did a Columbus play and one about the White House when the British burned it.

http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/archives/state.shtml they have a mystery state activity. For each state there are 5 clues and the kids research and try to guess the state. Last year I gave one clue a day and the kids tried to guess the state before they got all 5 clues.
    Social Studies www.thesocialstudiescompany.com. They sell lesson booklets based for Grades 5-6 with lots of fun activities. There are programs on American history and world history. They also have entire programs on other regions like Latin America
    I like to share free sites, but this is the best I came up with.

8. newtoteach

newtoteach Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

great idea-thanks! these replies have been extremely helpful. I just found out today that I will be co-teaching-so at least I'll have someone helping me!

9. bryanmj

bryanmj Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

One thing to remember. Stop and take a break. Don't over do it or you will burn out. If you don't get that bulletin board done, don't stress. Make the learning fun for the students. Ask lots of questions. Teachers are always willing to help and have resources from every corner of the curriculum. Good luck to you.

10. glittergirl142

glittergirl142 New Member

Aug 1, 2007

I am also a brand new 6th grade teacher. I will be going to my first meeting tomorrow!!! I will definitely find out the curriculum tomorrow.

Good luck everyone.

11. eager2teach2007

eager2teach2007 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

i'm a new 6th grade teacher too

Hello all. I recently accepted a sixth grade, language arts position at a local middle school at which I've really been wanting to teach since the school has an awesome reputation. I mean recently as in...the principal and her assistant interviewed me on Monday, and on Tuesday they offered me the position. I went today to 1 of 3 required orientation meetings, fingerprints, etc. It's been quite a week, and I officially start work on Monday the 13th.

I, also, am a first time teacher. I graduated recently with a bachelors degree in English, have taken and passed a couple of the certification exams, hold a temporary teaching certificate, but have NO teaching experience. I've been flipping out all this week, just thinking of where/how to start off my first day/week of school; my stomach has been in knots, but I'm excited all at the same time. I'm attending a New Teacher Orientation next week which I know will calm my fears and nerves some.

If my school doesn't assign me a peer/mentor teacher, should I request one? I know of another language arts teacher at my school who is Nationally Certified and teaches the gifted (honors) section of 6th grade. I had the opportunity to do some of my teacher observation hours there last year, and she was amazing.

I'm relieved to have found a website like this one which offers not only advice, but also encouragement. I've been constantly on it since April, reading as many posts as I'm able to in order to get some ideas and stuff. I wish all teachers a successful 2007-2008 school year!!!

12. eager2teach2007

eager2teach2007 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Purchase and read Harry Wong's "The First Days of School", which talks to new and seasoned teachers of how to become effective teachers. This book is amazing, and is packed full with ideas of classroom management, the first day of school, and loads of encouraging words. I, too, am a first time teacher, and I've been reading this book like crazy, pulling out any and all ideas for when I start. Good luck!

13. WordNut

WordNut Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

If you like Wong's book, you'll love anything from The Responsive Classroom. I can't post a link to their website because I haven't been a member of this forum long enough, but Google Responsive Classroom and you'll find it easily. We use The First Six Weeks of School, The Morning Meeting Book, Yardsticks and it's all good. The Responsive Classroom approach builds community and respect into everything you do and it's not gimmicky at all! Their website has all kinds of good advice and you get their newsletter mailed to you for free!

14. newtoteach

newtoteach Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Thanks! I've heard of the Responsive Classroom...just finished decorating the classroom today-so I'm getting somewhere !