First year teaching World History-Any tips?

Discussion in 'High School' started by cakencookies, Jul 8, 2012.

1. cakencookies

cakencookies Rookie

Jul 8, 2012

This will be my first year teaching World History, and while I'm excited I'm also a bit nervous about planning. Does anyone have any tips, advice, experiences or lesson plans they wouldn't mind sharing? Thank you!

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 8, 2012

Have you gotten your teacher's edition yet? If not I'd find out when you can get it and start going through your state's standards.

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 8, 2012

What time period do you start with?

5. cakencookies

cakencookies Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

I don't have any books yet, my classroom was empty, so I'll have to start tracking people down. As for the time period, even that is unknown to me. I'll try to find the specifics out....

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

7. cakencookies

cakencookies Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

Thank you for the tips. I have looked at the common core for my state and that is very helpful. I have yet to get into contact with anyone for books etc. Everyone is hiding for the summer :)
    Since getting a solid curriculum looks like it's going to take a while, would anyone like to share what they do or use for world history?

8. MrSnow

MrSnow Rookie

Jul 23, 2012

It is also my first year teaching World History as well as economics and I think it's pretty strange that they haven't given you your teachers editions yet as they usually give them out at the beginning of summer in most districts.

It would be a good idea to become friendly with the other members of your department as they will hopefully be willing to share powerpoints, lessons, and tests. Thankfully through subbing I made a few friends who have given me a great deal of resources already so i have a leg up come September.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 23, 2012

There are a couple of great history teachers on this board! Post as much as you can (time periods, units, etc.) and I know that HistTchr and Rockguykev will be able to help you for sure. :)

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 23, 2012

I'd love to help. We don't teach traditional world history, but rather we "Western Civilization." Just let me know what topics/units you need help with.

11. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

I teach four different world history courses, ranging from the Ancient world, to the 20th century. They have a Western Civ. focus, but we cover other material as well. That said, it's hard to give much advice, or even resources, without knowing what part of World History you're covering. That's a HUGE span of time.

Unfortunately, Common Core won't help you much in identifying what to teach in regards to World History, because there aren't any social studies standards yet (just those that relate social studies to reading/writing for now). BUT.... depending on your state, state standards might have more information, and might even dictate a time period.

Can you look at the course description book (often online)? If you can, look up the courses you're set to teach, and that should at least give you time-frame.

12. cakencookies

cakencookies Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

Still nothing...

I really appreciate the support I have gotten here. I have tried to contact my department chair and the principal and no one is getting back to me as far as scope and focus of the course or even books. It looks like I'll have to wait until we start school next week. Thank heavens the kids aren't arriving until the week after that- regardless I'd like more time to get prepared! EEK!
    I'll check back with all of you when I get basic information.....

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

This year I will be going back to teaching HS Government & History after four years of teaching MS Social Studies.

I like to plan using the state's US Governement exam that all our HS have to pass in order to graduate. In MD, this test is called the HSA Gov't and although it was eliminated last year, it was recently reinstated as a graduation requirement. I have found this to be a great resource.

I know people don't like teaching to the test, but using the HSA Gov't test as a guideline is great for helping me focus my plans/time onto the most important things students need to know. Since students tend to do poorly on History and Gov't state tests, which they must pass to graduate,I find this method useful. Since this is a state exam, there are plenty of resources that can be used to help students prepare and help me plan.

Good luck!

14. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

My first suggestion is to start with a redo /reminder of Geography and reading maps.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 19, 2012

Chances are, cakencookies, that your state has content standards online; even if yours is a Common Core state, those standards should at least give you a sense of what needs to be covered. They'll probably be somewhere on the state department of education Web site. You might also try Googling "world history ___ lesson plans", where the gap is filled by your state (and you could also include the grade in which students are generally expected to take world history). In addition, try Googling for your state's association of history/social science/social studies teachers - there's bound to be one - and fish around on the Web site that results for goodies that can help you do what you need to do. The state department of education Web site might also have a list of books that are adopted for various courses; once you know what the book is, you can Google for materials for your state that go with it (or even go to the publisher's Web site to see what you can scavenge up - though you may need to look for student materials, until you can strongarm someone into giving you the teachers' password).

16. MrSnow

MrSnow Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

What are some good project ideas/ interactive activities to do with a freshman world history class? I'm teaching basic survey of world from prehistory through ancient civilizations of Egypt, Indus Valley, China, Mesopotamia, Persia etc. Then moving onto the Americas and Europe with the Crusades and Age of Exploration etc. The textbook is over 1000 pages.