First year teaching experiences

Discussion in 'High School' started by Grateful, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Grateful

Grateful Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Hi

I am currently in the last semester of Grad Dip Education Secondary majoring in Business. I would like to get some info on others experiences in their first year of teaching and what sort of support did you receive from colleges and school? And, how did you handle the students that either knew or smelt the fear of a first year teacher and set out intentionally to not participate and disrupted the class

Grateful

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I think the experience that kind of sums up my first year was when I heard one of my girls say "Ms. G, that boy put a bug on your desk" on one of the first days of school. I walked over, picked up the bug, walked to the door and let it outside. Then I walked back inside and said "I grew up on a farm. You don't scare me." They thought it was funny and I had their respect the rest of the year.

4. Grateful

Grateful Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

Thank you, could I sum it up by saying that what ever comes my way take it in my stride, do not show that it has affected me and apply some humour to the situation.

Do you mind if I ask you whether you received a lot of support from the staff and school in your first year. I am studying in Perth Australia and have heard some horror stories from first year teachers.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2007

Last year was my first real year, and it was fantastic!

I had a great deal of support from other teachers in my department and administrators. I was assigned a mentor teacher who stopped by my room every so often to check in and offer assistance when necessary.

I'm certain that none of my students knew that it was my first year teaching because I never told them and because I didn't give off those new, scared teacher vibes. Prior to teaching, I worked in an inpatient psychiatric hospital for children and adolescents, so I've dealt with my share of messed up kids. These students are a breeze compared to some of those ones!

Beyond that, I wasn't wishy-washy about anything. I had made decisions about how my classroom would run and about what my expectations were--and I expected my students to be compliant with my instructions and requests. While I had my share of oppositional and defiant students, I'd say that most of them respected my positions on things and didn't bother messing around too much.

6. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

It depends so much on what kind of kids you have, and what your personality is. . . I spent my first year in one of those schools you see in the movies, with the extreme poverty, family problems, kids can't read, etc. It was probably the worst year of my life. Although I had a Master's and good support from administration and teacher coaches, I was really just overwhelmed by everything - a Masters in teaching english lit. does not prepare you to teach reading to ninth graders who are on a second grade level! The kids were nice (to me) but really unmotivated - and I tried all the tricks in the book and then some! I found that my personality was not a good fit for that particular school - I was not willing or able to be a drill sergeant. I was not retained at that position, as it was a temporary placement and they did not have that job for the next year (budget cuts) so I was able to find a school in the same district that is more suited to my teaching style. I am much happier now. I learned a lot in my first year of teaching, and I am glad I had that experience, but I would not have wanted to stay there.