First Year Teaching 2ND Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Linda8416, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Linda8416

Linda8416 Rookie

Jun 10, 2014

Hello all,

I am being offered a 2nd grade teaching position. It will be my first year teaching and I am really nervouS.

Any 2nd grade Teachers out there? I need some pointers on incentives and practices that have been effective.

Thanks!!

-Merari

3. underthesun

underthesun Rookie

Jun 10, 2014

I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to drop in and say congrats on being offered the position! :) I'm sure you'll have a wonderful year!

4. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 10, 2014

I'm not a 2nd grade teacher but my son had a really good one.

I gathered these tips:

"Reading comprehension: understanding the text, the ultimate goal of reading"

Book Broadcast:
    Have your child pretend to be a news reporter, dress up like a reporter, sit behind a desk, use a spoon as a microphone, and provide an oral broadcast of the story you just read together. Explain that news reporters start out by giving a quick main idea (if it is nonfiction) and theme (if it is fiction) of the story, followed by a summary of the news, followed by details. Sometimes, two news news reporters might talk back and forth about a news topic. In the same way, have your child give a summary of what happened and then you may discuss back and forth the different details of the story.

Guess the Word
    Choose one new word your child learned from a story, ask your child to write the word down, read the sentence in which that word occures, then guess what the word might mean using context clues. Together, look up the definition in a dictionary to check how accurate the guess was. Explain that one of the most fun parts of reading is learning new words. the more words we learn, the better we read, and the more we understand the story.

Spelling Tips:

Need some ideas for practicing spelling at home? Choose any of these unique ways to study or create your own. Students need to practice their words each night. Use the attached paper to practice and if your way is unable to be recorded to paper then just log what you did on your paper. Keep this paper at home for a reference.

ABC order- Write your words in alphabetical order.

Rainbow Words - Write your words in three colors

Backwards Words- Write your words forwards, then backwards.

Silly sentences -Use all your words in sentences

Picture words - Draw a picture and write your words in the picture.

Story words - Write a short story using all your words.

Surround words - Write your words on graph paper and outline in colors.
    Magazine words - Write your words by cutting out letters in a newspaper or magazine and glue them on a paper.
    Sailboat Words - Write your words adding or subtracting one letter at a time. The result will be a sailboat shape of words.
    Words-in-words - Write your word and then write at least 2 words made from each.
    Delicious words - Write your words in whipped cream, peanut butter, or anything you can eat!
    Good Clean Words -Write your words in shaving cream on a counter or some other surface that can be cleaned safely.
    Cheer your words - Pretend you are a cheerleader and call out your words! (We will do this as a group activity.) Sometimes you'll yell, sometimes you'll whisper! If you want to do this at home with a parent, get them to send me a note that you've done it.

Popsicles - Make words using popsicle sticks.
    Secret Agent Words - Number the alphabet from 1 to 26, then convert your words to a number code.

Computer Words – Type your spelling words with a silly font and color on your computer.

No uh-oh words – Write your words in pen, no mistakes allowed!

Practice spelling test – Have a family member test your spelling.

www.spellingcity.com – This is a great website to play games with your spelling and to print activities to complete.

5. clrizza

clrizza New Member

Jun 13, 2014

I am new teacher as well but my student teaching was in second grade. My cooperating teacher had an amazing classroom management set up. She used Table Points which is each table gets a point for being the first to quiet down or be ready to move on. She also had a class rock jar. The whole class could earn rocks for things like walking quietly in the hallway or listening well during a lesson. Each child also had a ticket bag in which they could earn tickets for good behavior. They could also loose tickets for consistently not handing in homework. In addition, she had a card system where every student began the day with a green card and their card would be flipped for poor behavior. Yellow was a warning. Orange was loosing a ticket. Red was a phone call home. All of her systems really held every student accountable individually, in their table groups, and as a whole class. It worked really well for her and it was easy for other teachers (special ed, gym , music etc.) to follow as well. Best of luck!

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 14, 2014

Congratulations! You will LOVE 2nd grade! This will be my 7th year teaching 2nd grade and I'd be ok with doing it forever =)

I have found that classroom management is THE most crucial part of teaching.

In ABC order, I start with 1 and number my kiddos. Then I have them write their number in the top right corner of their papers and their names in the top left corner. This allows me to put papers in order quickly to see who didn't turn in work or for grading purposes. It also keeps things confidential in my classroom- no names in my grade book or behavior book. Textbooks are numbered for easy distribution/collection as well. This has made things SO much easier for me!

I use foam drink coasters for behavior management. If a child breaks a rule I simply place one on the corner of his/her desk. I teach them not to touch the cards or complain about them, of course. One card= 5 mins recess; Two=10 mins recess and a note home; Three=Desk moved; Four=Loss of Group Activities for that day; Five= Time out in another classroom

I also use a Chain of Success. I attach a link to the top of the whiteboard. The class can earn links (cut from bulletin board border) for good behavior and when the chain reaches the floor they get a reward (usually PJ day).

I also use tickets. Students earn tickets for exceptional behavior- if they ask for a ticket I'm not allowed to give them one =) Tickets can be used to have lunch with the teacher, chew gum in class, bring a toy to school, etc.

I have behavior notes on hand so that when I need to send one home I don't have to write out a note. I simply write in the student's name and date and check the behavior(s). I have one of these for good choices and one for bad choices.

I put student numbers on a metal cabinet- top drawer. The 2nd drawer is marked "Box" and the 3rd drawer is marked "Tray." Students move their numbers each morning to show their lunch choice for the day. Numbers left on top are for absent students, making taking attendance and lunch count easy! I give each student a job that changes every week and one job is to move the numbers back to the top each afternoon while another is to make sure people remember to do their lunch count when they arrive in the mornings =)

Let me know if you have more specific questions! I'd be happy to help or share resources!

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 14, 2014

Model, model, model. Second graders are very enthusiastic learners, but need lots of guidance prior to independent work.

Enjoy!

8. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jun 14, 2014

Congrats!!!! Second grade is awesome. I know because I have been there for 13 years!!!
    All of the above is excellent advice. I am heading out for a baseball game, so I don't have time to respond right now. Please feel free though to pm me if you have any questions in the mean time. :D

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

Congrats! I love 2nd grade. :)

I understand that all grade levels see a wide span in student abilities, but I think it is widest in K-2. For example, last year my lowest student was reading at a level A, and my highest at a level T. Some students could barely write a sentence, while others could write 10+ page stories. Some students couldn't count very well past 10, and others were multiplying.

For this reason, my best advice is to individualize instruction as much as possible. For my literacy block, I do the Daily 5. Instead of "center" activities that may be very black and white, the Daily 5 allows for student choice and differentiation.

My math block needs to change for next year. In the past I have done a whole-group lesson, some guided practice, and then independent practice. My students hated math, and their scores were not what I would have liked them to be. I didn't differentiate enough. Next year I will be implementing Math Daily 3, because I have seen such a big success with using The Daily 5 during literacy. This will allow me to meet with math groups.

As for classroom management, there are so many ideas out there (clip charts, cards, stop-and-go lights, tokens, tickets, table points, etc.). I have found that the easiest and most effective form of classroom management is having clear expectations, modeling them to death, and holding students accountable. It sounds way too simple, and it really is. If students don't follow the expectations, a natural consequence follows. I'm not a big fan of punishing the whole group (recess tallies, table points), or public displays of behavior (clip charts, cards, etc.). Of course, there are some students who do need a bit more, and then we work out an individual behavior contract/plan. (We are a PBIS school, so I have to hand out paw cards for good behavior, but I use them sparingly.)

Last summer I had to move classrooms, and I started a blog about setting my new room. I was hoping that it would help other teachers know where to begin with such an overwhelming task. Here is the link if you want to check it out: http://settingupforsecond.blogspot.com/. If you start at the beginning with my first post, you can see the progression.