First Year Teachers- what is your background?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by TennisPlayer, Jul 21, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

I'm curious to hear how many people here are straight out of college versus people that have substituted or done some other type of work before they got hired for this next year?

I'll start. I have been a substitute/PT nanny for 5 years while job-searching.

Congratulations on your new job!

3. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

I have been a substitute for six years, including 4 LTS jobs. Yeah....so glad that's behind me!! :D

4. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I had a year of student teaching and now I'm going to be a K teacher in about a month! So I'm 22 years old, right out of college. :)

5. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I was a traditional college student, I graduated December 2007. I subbed last semester while trying to find a job. I can't wait to get started!

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

Before starting school sub alot and volunteered. Went to college and had a job 4 months before I graduated.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2008

24 years old and just graduated in May. No subbing experience - just a lot of methods and student teaching.

8. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I student taught for a year. Graduated in May 2007 and got a job in Septemeber 2007 1 week before school started. I never had o sub.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 21, 2008

I got my certification in December 2007, I had a LTS job from Jan to June, and I have a contract for a school different than the one I LTS'ed at. I am a career changer though so I actually graduated from college in the mid 90s and have done a variety of jobs before getting my certification. So I'm recently certified but definitely not 22!

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2008

Bachelor's and master's in journalism, worked in entertainment industry for a long time, took the alternative certification route to teach.

11. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

I'm a traditional route graduate. Student taught for a semester, graduated May 2008, got a job offer. I'm 22 and I'll be teaching my first year in August!

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2008

I graduated last May with a degree in childhood education and spent the last year getting my master's degree in literacy. I knew that I wanted to get a better background in literacy and I was able to be a graduate assistant, which paid for the bulk of my degree. I'm so glad that I got it, because I'll start out higher on the payscale and I now feel much better prepared. I haven't ever subbed at all and I'll be starting my first year teaching next month!

13. Manders670

Manders670 New Member

Jul 22, 2008

I graduated in December 2005- I worked at a hotel as a front desk agent until September 2006. Then I worked as a Special Ed Aid from 2006-2007 and Then started to go back to school for Nursing- worked as a CNA for 6 months and then work recently from April till last Friday as a Lead Teacher for 2 year olds in a day care. I really nervous for this year but excited at the same time. I hope I havent forgotten anything.

14. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Jul 22, 2008

I just turned 24 a few weeks ago. I graduated in December of 2006. From January to May of 2007, I substitute taught. Last school year, I was an in-school math tutor. And finally this year I'll have my own classroom!

15. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I'm a career change teacher. I graduated with a BS in Business Administration in 2002 and worked as an accountant for 4 years before deciding to head back to school for a degree in education. I spent two years working as an accountant and on my MAT in Middle Grades Education and completed that this past December. I worked as a substitute teacher during the spring semester and was hired this summer to be the 6th grade math teacher. (Yes, I did say THE 6th grade math teacher...it's a small town. :) )

Going back to school was the best decision I ever made!

16. MomtoCAV

MomtoCAV Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I too am doing a change of career - after working in offices for the past 20 years I am switching to teaching. I graduated this May with my Master's in Teaching. I will be teaching second grade, and am so nervous and excited.

I feel like the grandmother of this thread. :lol:

17. pdknjax10

pdknjax10 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I subbed during the past semester (spring '08) for the district I'll be working in soon. I just graduated in May, and I'm excited about the upcoming school year! :D Whoo Hoo!

18. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I student taught last semester and graduated May 2008. I'll be teaching 2nd at the same school where I did my student teaching...(How cool is that!)

Luckily, while I was in college, I taught toddlers and preschoolers, so I have a little background.

19. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jul 23, 2008

I student taught for 14 weeks, graduated April '07. then subbed for a year.

20. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 23, 2008

Substituted while getting teacher credentials (after bachelors) and student taught in August to December 2005. Subbed afterwards while also getting additional endorsments and looking for a job. Got job in 2007 but moved out of state to do so.

21. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Jul 24, 2008

Bachelor's at my university, student taught, then got hired!

22. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jul 24, 2008

Got my bachelor's in something unrelated and worked in the entertainment industry for 1 1/2 yrs.
    Went back to school, did my student teaching, got my credentials/masters. I tutored and taught an enrichment program while in school.
    Spent a year teaching/tutoring child actors on-set.
    Got hired a few weeks ago for a normal classroom position! :)

I'm 27.

23. ITeachSATX

ITeachSATX Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

Worked in the university's office of disabilty services all through college - graduated with BS in Advertising back in 01 - worked in that field until I had my daughter in 04 - became a Realtor in 05 - decided to sub last fall as home sales started to cool locally - did the alternative cert. while working as a HS spec. ed aide in the spring because $10/hour is ludicrous. Interesting to note that I'll be teaching the same class I subbed in last fall. I aided at one high school in our district and will now be teaching that same class "ALE/Life Skills" at the other HS.

24. singingstacy

singingstacy Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

That's just like me! I'm a kindergarten teacher, though!

25. TexTeacherTiff

TexTeacherTiff Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

Hello Tennis Player,

I was straight out of college but I had also done 3 years of subbing while I was in college. In Texas you can start subbing once you have 45 college hours if you are an education major. I subbed full time for a district here (which i did not get hired on at, but that is a whole other story) while I was going to school full time to get my bachelor degree. So I had experience, but also straight out of college.

26. siegekl

siegekl New Member

Jul 26, 2008

Went straight from undergrad in elem. education to masters in elem education. just graduated and about to start my 1st teaching job!

27. Electron

Electron Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Well, in grad school as a budding scientist, I was a TA with my own little lab (and too many pre-meds... :lol:). But upon discovering that PhD candidates in my research group were now to be assigned research assistantships only, I decided to terminate with an MS and look for high school / community college jobs. I like scientific research a lot, but I love teaching.

After a couple of interviews, I landed a position in one of the better public schools in the state. Fortunately for me, high school chemistry and physics remain one of the few remaining true shortage areas. Those who majored in those subjects tend to be lured by the huge salaries that industry and corporate jobs can offer.

I'm also involved with a local college, so I haven't entirely given up on tertiary education! Or research, actually, because I'm still periperally involved with my old research group as a volunteer. Exactly how much research I manage to get done during my first real year teaching at the high-school level remains to be seen... :whistle:

28. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 27, 2008

BS in Early Childhood Education
    Worked for four years as a Head Start Teacher
    M.Ed in Mild to Moderate Educational Needs.....

Now I start work as a K-2 ED Teacher. :)

29. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I just graduated with my BS EC-4 plus spec ed in May, but I worked as an interpreter for the hearing impaired at the high school level. I will be a 4th grade resource teacher in about 1 month.

30. rlss

rlss Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I moved to NJ from PA right after completing my Master's in Elem. Ed. (with an undergrad in General Science). Because I wasn't cert. in NJ, I taught in a private school for 2 years, got married, and then taught college for 2.5, gave birth to twins and took 5 years off. I then, finally got cert. in NJ in Elem. Ed. and also decided to get certified in Middle School Science. I am now entering my 2nd year as a 7th grade Science teacher and just turned 38.

31. Berkman

Berkman New Member

Jul 29, 2008

I graduated May 2005 from Arkansas Tech in Early Childhood Education. I went home to Nebraska and subbed for a year, and then ended up moving to Austin, TX. I have been here two years (subbing and a nanny), and I will have my first classroom this fall. I'm so excited!

32. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 29, 2008

Graduated with BA in 2005, got married and worked in college administration and human resources, went back to school for my teaching certificate in 2007, did student teaching this past spring and graduated in May.

33. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Graduated with a BA in Elementary Ed in '07 then got my masters in Special Ed in a year, while I worked as an inclusion asst. I graduated in May (I'm 22) and got my dream job teaching 2nd grade in the fall! Can't wait!

34. MissAinCA

MissAinCA Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Graduated Dec. 2006, subbed while enrolled in one-year credential program. Just received my credential and was hired on to teach Kindergarten this upcoming school year. I'm so nervous but very excited!

35. MaddieMommy

MaddieMommy Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I am a career changer who spent 10 years in the banking industry before deciding to teach. I just got my first job teaching High School English. I am completing an EPI while I am teaching. I am really excited and really nervous. :woot:

36. kimberd

kimberd Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I was a scientist in the pharmaceutical industry for 20+ years and decided I wanted to teach. I'm teaching for the first time through an alternative certification program, and I'm teaching 8th grade math. Yikes!

37. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I graduated in December of 2007. BA Interdisciplinary Studies Liberal Arts emphasis on Elementary Education concentration in Math. (It's a mouthful...I know). Traditional college student (I am 23) (for the most part-I worked full time while attending school and student teaching).

38. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

Dropped out of the education department at my college despite (or maybe because of) being the child or two high school teachers. Went into finance and banking for a decade, hit 31 and realized the error of my youth. Completed my Secondary Ed certificate by 33, moved from PA to OH, subbed for three happy years and finally landed my first job at 36.

39. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 5, 2008

I graduated from college with my education degree in Jaunuary 2008 (traditional college student)--- student taught for 14 weeks prior to graduation.

Job searched from January to April. Signed contact April/May. I didn't have a job from January to now--- lived with my parents and took care of the house, ran errands for them, etc.

Prior experience is free online tutoring at another forum site and student teaching.

40. NewNCTeach

NewNCTeach Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I am 29. I graduated with a BA in Political Science & Sociology in 2001. I worked in the legal field for 6 years. I just received my Masters in Elem Ed this summer and completed student teaching this past spring in a 3rd grade class. I have just received my first teaching job starting next week in 3rd grade.

41. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 8, 2008

raneydae, how did you like tutoring child actors? I always thought that would be kind of cool (my undergrad degree is in Radio/TV/Film production so I thought it would be kind of like getting the best of both worlds to teach child actors on set).

I graduated in 2005 with a BA in Communications, worked for a year as a special ed para in 6th grade, then did a yearlong internship in a K-5 school while I got my Master's (the district paid my tuition in exchange). This past fall I did 12 weeks student teaching in 3rd grade, subbed the rest of the year, and am now preparing for my own 3rd grade classroom!