First year teachers, are you experiencing nerves?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by CrayolaCrayon, Sep 5, 2010.

1. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Sep 5, 2010

I don't know about you but my first-year-teacher-nerves have been kicking in! I feel like there is so much to do and my mind sometimes races with the "What if..." and "Should I be..." questions. I wonder if I can get everything done!

How are you handling the before-school jitters? (Besides reading First Day Jitters)

;)

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 5, 2010

Haha- I am reading Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten! lol aw!

Yes, very much so! Very nervous, but also full of excitement and anticipation! It is so hard to believe that I finally have my own classroom and I will be doing what I love and what I have dreamed of doing for my whole life! I am so excited and grateful to have gotten this job at the most amazing school whose philosophy melds sooo perfectly with my own and to have it be in kindergarten! I just cannot believe it!
    My mind is racing thinking of everything- I went in yesterday with the help of my parents and fixed my room and I think I am ready. There are still some things I need to do with the room- like a BB and whatever, but now on to the planning. I was just hired- so it has been a whirlwind and I just have to accept I cannot do it all- I just need to do the best I can in the time I have been given and be happy with that. Things will change it is my first year, my first class, my first room set up- so as the year progresses things will change constantly and I am excited about that. I have been coming on here getting ideas, talking to friends and family, asking all teachers whom I have a strong relationship for their best first year teaching advice and anything they wished they had known and just loving every moment! Yikes, but I have not slept well since getting the call and accepting the job- my mind is racing and I am just sooo excited! Today is the first day I have taken off from thinking about school per the Ps order!- see how well I am doing with that? As I stay on atoz! lol and think more of my room and plans.
    What grade do you have? Good luck! I am sure you will do fabulous! Best wishes! We can always pm and chat- I would love to have someone from atoz to share ideas and advice and whatnot!

4. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 5, 2010

Oh gosh...Tomorrow I have to build my furniture, decorate, and set up my room, alongside the other half day teacher, who has very different ideas about how my classroom should look. Then I have to plan out my first day, which I'm treating more like an orientation without the parents, since Tuesday is the first day, and then we have off for Rosh Hashana.

I'm soooo nervous!! I still don't have my class list, as they haven't finished registration yet. I finally got my curriculum at the end of the week last week, and I need to plan like crazy!!

5. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Sep 6, 2010

I am going to be a part-time preschool teacher for three year olds. Tiny ones! My degree is actually in Elementary Education but they are currently not hiring new teachers in the public schools here. I was very lucky to find a position. Of course, there's a big difference between three year olds and elementary students so I'm trying to adjust.

I will be creating a curriculum for them in Science and Music and Movement. It's great experience in planning but it's also overwhelming at times because there are so many ideas and no previous program to work off of. I find myself over-analyzing and second-guessing every decision I make, which is a result of my personality. I'm a perfectionist so I drive myself a little nuts at times. I spend so much time thinking and I end up getting a bit ahead of myself!

SwOcean, congratulations on finding a position that fits everything you were looking for! That is so exciting!! I'd love to chat some more via PM. You definitely seem like you have a great attitude.

You are so right. I need to work on accepting that things cannot be perfect! I can't have every little idea put in place. I just need to do the best I can and remind myself that I'm getting experience. I will learn and get better at all this! Things WILL progress and change.

Nmk, I hope you find a middle ground with the other teacher. What do you want the room to look like and what does she want to do? I can relate to the rushed feeling. I accepted this position weeks ago but it was only recently made clear to me what exactly is expected of me. I had a bunch of ideas previously that I had to scratch! What age group will you be working with? I see it's in preschool.

Good luck to both of you! Would love to talk more! :)

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

Nerves aren't just for first year teachers! You all will do great :)

7. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Sep 6, 2010

Exactly! I am going into my second year and my nerves are running wild! lol

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

Haha, I'm going into my third, and still nervous. I know a teammate of mine has been teaching over 20 years and still gets anxious and nervous. Every group is different... you never know quite what to expect. But, that's what makes it so much fun!

9. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Sep 6, 2010

I'm going into my 2nd year, but it's my first year at this school. I'm co-teaching and already that has presented challenges in that I'm more of a "get it done" type person and co-teacher likes to stand around and talk about getting it done :lol: I also am really nervous and have anxiety that all the things that need to get done won't and I already have a new IEP to write :eek: Good luck to everyone!

10. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

You aren't alone! My mind constantly races with things that I need to do. More Montessori activities on the shelves PEP, diebels assessments, newsletters, getting homework ready for the next day... working on actually taking anectdotal notes... since I did ZERO my 1st week with the kids.

Also changing my group seating... there are to many kids who cannot see during story time so I'm going to have to change the setup of half of my room again! Then I believe report cards are due soon! I'm keeping my head above water, being flexible, smiling and staying late each day... but I can say I'm excited and happy to finally have my own classroom.. I was hesitate for so long but I know that this is a good fit for me.

Good luck everyone lets support each other!

11. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

So, my class is a mix, nursery (3 year olds), pre-k, and K, all in one room. So that in itself really stresses me out.

My ideal room is bright and welcoming, but not too overwhelming, but at the same time professional, clean, and organized. Her idea of a room is a very "homey" atmosphere, she'd like the room to look more like her grandmother's living room-oriental carpet covering most of the floor (the director and I made her throw it out because there's no vacuum cleaner), big and ugly gold couch that needed new cushions (we had her get rid of it because it was too much work for the crew to move it to the new classroom on the fourth floor.)

I went in at nine this morning with the rest of the new things I got donated for the classroom, as we are a very low income private school, and the room and toys were in shambles by the end of last year. I spent the morning assembling the furniture (crew was too busy to come up) and emptying boxes. The afternoon emptying boxes. The early evening decorating. Cleaning in between. The other teacher never showed up. She's planning on emptying the 7 overflowing boxes that I had no idea what to do with in 45 minutes tomorrow morning before the students arrive. I'm planning on being there before her, to finish decorating and make sure that she doesn't mess up my hard work.

On top of that, I have NO IDEA what I'm doing with my students tomorrow afternoon!:dizzy:

Think I have reason to be nervous?