First Year Teacher

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by lullabelle72, Oct 7, 2011.

1. lullabelle72

lullabelle72 Rookie

Oct 7, 2011

Hello everyone!

I'm a brand new teacher starting on Monday! I graduated in December-- I'm 26 years old and probably look about 20. I loved student teaching, but of course I had a mentor teacher with me. I'm very excited and honored to be given the chance to take over a classroom and yet, absolutely terrified to begin!

On Monday and Tuesday I'll be getting accustomed to the school-- and either Wednesday or Thursday, I'll be assuming teaching responsibilities.

I am looking for any and all advice on how to start out... taking over a classroom! Did anyone else have an experience like this?

What should I expect, especially with 5th graders?!

3. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Oct 16, 2011

Just saw your post-- hope things are going well! I'm a new teacher this year, too...and I started teaching after the year had already started.

My advice would be to start right away with your own procedures...and spend a week or so going over these, just as you would at the beginning of the year. Everything that I had read and been told told me to keep with the previous teacher's procedures and gradually switch over to mine. I WISH I HAD NOT DONE THIS! It was basically two weeks of H*** and was just wasted time. I had to stop 2 weeks in to change the procedures and basically start over, so now my class is 3 weeks behind the other fifth grade class. Oh well, we have a much better relationship and classroom management now!

I also think that my class viewed me as a sub for the first month or so. Again, I think this was because I tried to follow someone else's procedures and the kids new I was struggling.

My 5th graders have a lot of problems with respect, talking, not turning in work, bullying, and relationship drama. I never intended to teach above 3rd grade, so this was all new to me! It's not just my class, it's the entire 5th grade in our school.

4. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Oct 29, 2011

Congratulations!

I love 5th graders! I am in an elementary setting, so they still like hugs and drawing pictures for their teacher, even boys. At the end of the day they still look forward to picking up the classroom floor in order to find that magical scrap of paper in less than a minute for a tootsie roll.

Fifth graders learn so much throughout the day. They are preparing for middle school, setting the example for the rest of the school, and enjoying their last year of elementary school. Students are working on stamina with writing, reading, and math homework as well as sitting longer at their desk without fidgeting and staying on task.

Are you going into a classroom that has had a sub? 5th graders can transition easily to your routines and procedures. Have one for everything: going to the bathroom, sharpening a pencil, getting a drink, turning in homework, papers from home, when to interrupt, how do they get your attention. Students like routines. They know that if they are doing something the correct way they won't get in trouble. Most students are rule followers.

5th graders still like to please their teacher, enjoy a little bit of sarcasm and joking around, and love to be challenged. They rise to the occasion when it is put to them as a fun test of their ability. As long as they know that you are their cheerleader and not their task master, they think of it as a challenge.

We find that many students are worried or concerned about middle school and want to be prepared. As the year goes, we talk about how the things we do in class will help them next year as they when they are in the middle school. One of our teachers used to teach at the middle school and she is a great resource. "Mrs. X said that you will need...."

They like to be helpful. Give them responsibilities that help you: collecting papers, putting papers in order, making sure that all students have turned in papers and that all papers have names on them. Let them run papers to the office, keep your classroom library organized, be in charge of technology like turning of lights and CD players, manage the desks, (are desks and rows neat, straight, tidy).

This site is a great resource. Come back with general or specific questions and you will get wonderful support.

Good luck!!!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2011

It's been 3 weeks now... how is it going??

6. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Nov 15, 2011

I liked themilocats advice about setting up your own routine first, and yes I also would love to know how it's all going?

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 15, 2011

lullabelle72 how is it going? I have taught for 20 years and I currently teach 5th grade. Now that you have taught for awhile what questions do you have? Also, what help do you need?

9. imagination

imagination Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

Make sure to put your foot down first! Remember, you are there to teach. I made the mistake of trying to be a friend instead of a teacher. Just be sure to remain consistent and gain their respect. Stay true to your word. If you cannot do it, do not tell them you will.