First year teacher with a 4/5 split??

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by linzteach, May 29, 2005.

1. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

May 29, 2005

I just found out that I have secured my first teaching job for the 2005-2006 school year. I am very excited and can't wait to get started. The only problem is that I was hired for a fourth/fifth split. I completed all my student teaching in a first grade class, so not only do I feel ill prepared for the intermediate grades, I am also stressing about how to organize this split classroom. ANY suggestions how to set up a classroom schedule, behavior management plan, ect...for a split would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

3. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jun 1, 2005

Hey! I just finished my first year of teaching...4th grade. I admire you for taking on a split! The fourth and fifth grades in my school use this discipline system....each Monday the kids get an index card (called their license) and they spllit it into M-F. Each time they don't bring in HW or are a behavior prob (after a warning), I punch their license. The number of punches per week determine the conduct grade that goes home in their Friday folders to their parents. You may want to ask other 4th or 5th grade teachers at the school what they are using. They may have something that is consistent through both grades. I didn't set my discipline system up till I talked to my mentor and the other 4th grade teachers. One book I found very helpful was Wong's "The First Days of School" ( I think that's the title..or it's pretty close) Good luck! I loved my first year of teaching!!

4. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2005

Congratulations on the new position! it sounds like we should switch jobs! I did my student teaching with fifth grade and I got hired for first grade. The key to fifth grade (the older grades) is to show the students respect and allow them to be a part of making choices. My experience with fifth grade was amazing. I finished my student teaching in April and I still get weekly emails from some of the students journaling to me, letting me know whats going on in their lives. Definietely talk to the other teachers and see what type of plan they use for discipline. For whole class management I used a counting system. I started at one and if I made it to five the class lost 5 minutes recess. I only had to take away the recess time once. Usually by two or three the class was silent and they were working in groups the way they were suppose to. Let them work together as much as possible and experiment and come to conclusions on their own. Make sure you are consistent. The students will test you and if you don't follow through with consequences then they will take advantage of that. Make sure that your rules and consequences are set up in a way that you can follow through easily. Also have a lot of positive reinforcement. Just because they are bigger doesn't mean they don't like praise and rewards ( bonus points or even stickers) any more. One of the most important things my cooperating teacher atught me is to always pick and choose your battles.

Try reading:
    "Teaching with Love and Logic" (Excellent for Class Management)
    "First Days of School" (By Harry Wong, a must have!)
    "Educating Esme" (A diary of a first year 5th grade teacher)

If you want to share idea, feel free to message me. I'd love to pick your brain about working with first grade also!

5. YorkieBabe

YorkieBabe New Member

Jun 1, 2005

Well I'm starting with a kindergardner for home school and i don't have a whole lot of money to buy lesson books or buy stuff to teach with so will you help me gather some ideas to teach this child.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 2, 2005

Some 5th grades are 'mature' (I use that term loosely) and into prepubescence (sp?) while others are still little kids. Some years they seem to age over winter vacation and suddenly you have girls whispering about who likes who. Sigh. This year I was lucky and they stayed young, open, interested in childlike things, all year. This was the first year I didn't have at least one who was not retained, though, and it made a difference. In fact I had 3 who entered 5th grade at 9 years old. It was sooooo nice. Since you will have a 4/5 split, it gives the 5th graders more of an opportunity to enjoy their final elementary year as children. As they are. (It is so discouraging to see kids losing their childhoods way too early.)

7. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jun 6, 2005

Thank you for your advice! I'm really excited about starting, but feel more at home in first grade (especially since all my materials are geared to that grade level). I hope we can keep in touch throughout the school year!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 7, 2005

Mommaruthie teaches a 4/5 split and I'm sure she will help you out after she returns from vacation. 9-11 year olds love to play games and are mature enough to play in small groups and to handle losing. Learning games are a great way to review. Around the World, Sparkle, Jeopardy-style games are popular. They still need hands-on learning. Visit yard sales and thrift stores to stock up on books and board games like Scrabble. My class loved to break into teams to review social studies topics for about 10 minutes. I'd then ask each group questions and give them a minute to discuss. If they answered correctly, they put a point on the board for their team. I used candy as prizes. They loved it. They even loved plain old flashcard competition - I made up my own for geometry. We played Bingo weekly with spelling words, fractions, social studies, anything at all. They made their own 4 X 4 bingo boards from a list of terms (on white boards). I would put more terms on the board than there were spaces on a bingo board. For vocab review, play Blurt. You give a definition, they try to be first to blurt out the word. They only get one try, though, then must be silent. I purchased geometry and fraction dominoes. The math game, Set, is awesome, as is Mastermind. I always have morning work on the board which they start in homeroom and must turn in. I make it simple for early-finishers - they may choose either to read or work on their spelling unit, quietly. Otherwise, I keep them very busy.

9. kbaron7810

kbaron7810 New Member

Aug 11, 2005

It's great to get some ideas. I, too, just found out that I will be teaching a 4/5 combo class. This is my second year of teaching. Last year I taught kindergarten, so I know exactly what you're talking about! I'm most nervous about getting the structure of the day down knowing who is doing what at all times and juggling what to teach separately to each grade level and what to combine. Thanks everyone for the ideas.