First Year Teacher...should I start my Master's?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by EngTeacher15, Sep 12, 2006.

1. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

Sep 12, 2006

Hi everyone. I'm a first year English teacher and I am interested in starting my Master's. I figure the sooner I start, the sooner I'll finish (and the sooner I'll get paid more). I just don't know if it's too much to tackle or if it is too soon.

I was considering looking into it this summer, to see if I could afford to take one or two classes this next summer. I'm just not sure if I can afford it.

Any thoughts?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2006

I think waiting for summer is a wise choice. The first year is brutal-- it's a good idea to wait until it's behind you.

Start with one class at a time if you need to; you'll find the money somehow, we all did.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2006

I chose to start the second semester of my second year. That gave me a year to get used to the whole routine or teaching, and a year to think about what area I might want my masters in. I just happened to choose second semester because the first semester si always busier.

After that, I took summer, fall, and spring classes. I finished in two years.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 12, 2006

I'd start in the summer. Actually, that's what I did. It gives you time to focuss on your first class. The first class seems to be the hardest. Once you have that under your belt, you can choose to take 1, 2, or 3 classes each semester. I'm only taking 2 a semester so I can keep my sanity.

6. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Sep 13, 2006

I was in a Master's program that gave me my master's after my first year of teaching. I had a ton of support (I only received half of my salary because the rest was going to the college), but it was one of the toughest things I think you can do. There is so much to do during your first years - planning, creating, learning how to grade in a decent amount of time. While I am glad I did it, I would not have done it without the program. I took 3-4 classes on top of teaching full time, so it was a bit hectic.

If you have your year laid out and do find that you know how you want the majority of your units to go - maybe start second semester if you have the money. However, if you find yourself still learning how to be a teacher - wait. You should give yourself time to adjust to teaching and the students should get your full attention. The raises will come soon enough.

7. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Sep 13, 2006

Wait!

I did that and it was TOO TOO much. There's more going on your first year than you think there will be and it adds up.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2006

This is my first year and I am taking two master's courses. Public school has been in session for seven weeks and college has been in session for a few weeks. Everything is going great at the moment. My degree is online, however, and I know that makes a huge difference. I absolutely DID NOT want to wait to get started and I DO NOT want to drag it out over three, five, or even more years. I look at it as being like a band-aid - just get it over with! I'll be finished in a year and half.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2006

Oh, and I know this is going to be a complete stress factor...I really do. I would just rather have a year and half be hectic than have five or so years with that little extra class added to each semester.

We'll see...maybe I'll take it all back here in a few months! :)

10. jeepfan531

jeepfan531 Rookie

Sep 16, 2006

Hi Justme,

Would you happen to be working through Walden for your Masters? I am about to finish (Feb.). I have stretched it out as I was unable to keep up with the pace of the standard program. I take one course that lasts 8 weeks and then I am off for 8 weeks. So it is taking double the time but I am enjoying it too. Financially it is better for me since this allows me to get all the matching funds possible from my school.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2006

No...I am just going through a regular state university. :)

12. jeepfan531

jeepfan531 Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Cool. When I started my work, there were very view options available for an online degree. I enjoy working at home late at night. My degree is in integrating technology into the classroom. I looked at the local universities first and a program like this was not even in existence...and still isn't as far as I know.