First year teacher panic

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 773 Miles Away, Aug 1, 2007.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Being that this is my first year teaching I'm wondering what the norm is. I just read on my city's teacher union contract how it is my responsibility to give my principal at the beginning of the school year a general map of what my kids will learn and generally when (month by month I'm guessing).

Now I haven't heard from my principal since the day I got hired with the exception of a short email saying my HR meeting will be coming up (i just went).

She said she won't get back until mid/late august and I can meet with her then to answer my gazillion questions.

SO.. this is my situation.. I havent' seen my room, I don't know what specifically I'm teaching (i.e. which subjects have "scripted curriculums" and which I have to create on my own), I don't know the organization of the day (do I get to create my own schedule or does she tell me when), I don't know what specials my kids go to or when, I don't know what school wide policies I have to abide by, etc etc etc....

Has this ever happened to anyone?? I'm trying to plan ahead by I've hit a road block until I get more info!

My main concern is... should I know what i"m teaching and when? I was hoping to just truck through the state standards and plan as I go so that I can figure out the pacing by my second year of teaching.... is this foolish? I really can't imagine how long things will take yet..

So lost

3. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I am a first year teacher and I felt as scared as you. Here are a few things...first of all what grade will you be teaching? Secondly...as I have come to find out you will be set up more than likely with a mentor and your team. They will help you through. One of the teachers from my team called me today and cleared so many things up for me. I was afraid of lesson plans and she told me that we get together as a team for our grade level to make lesson plans and then we modify it for each individual teacher. So that doesn't seem so scary anymore. Don't worry about it everything will fall into place. My days of worry seem to be with no good reason. We will be fine:)

4. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Sounds encouraging! I hope the ball gets rolling soon! I'll be teaching Fifth

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

Look on your district site. They may have the curriculum mapped out for you. Our district has a curriculum map with all the standards, and lessons for most areas.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

Are you moving to the job? Or is it near where you live now?

I wouldn't stress out about it. It's not your fault you don't know yet. I'm sure the principal is going to be lenient with you.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Where I student taught, all the same grade level teachers sat and mapped out what order they were teaching things prior to the beginning of the school year. IE, in my math TE, I had a post it with the order I was to do the chapters in. My class was ahead of the other 1st grades, but we were all in the same order. I'd bet they don't expect you to do this yourself!!
    I, too, have not seen my room and have no idea what I am teaching, either!

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 2, 2007

If your prinicipal hasn't asked for the curriculum map, don't worry about it yet. In some schools, you do that as a grade level team during the pre-service days. In the public school I was at, 2 teachers from each grade planned out part of the curriculum for the year. 2 did SS, 2 did math, 2 did LA. The science teacher did science.

You need to be able to meet with the other teachers at your grade level and look at the curriculum. Someone else may have already done the curriculum map and will share it with you, if the whole grade doesn't do it together.

Go into school on your assigned day, and have a great year! Don't stress too much yet...

9. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

773 Miles Away-

I would not worry about a lot of things since the principal did not speak to you about it. However, make a list of questions and try to group them by topics so that you can ask them all at once.

Is there any chance that you can drop by school to see your room and see if any 5th grade teachers are there setting up so that you could just introduce yourself too, even though the principal is not there. That might be easier so that they can start helping you with the million questions that you might have.

While you are waiting, have you started to brainstorm ideas of how you want you classroom to look? Don't stress out. Everything will fall into place!! Good luck!