First Year Teacher Needs ideas for 8th grade Math

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Miss Griffin, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Miss Griffin

Miss Griffin New Member

Nov 11, 2020

Hello Everyone,
    I am a first year teacher at a school that is, luckily, small enough for us to socially distance out kids while in the building, so so far I have been teaching in person for two months, and I feel like I am failing my students in 8th grade. The school uses block scheduling for all classes expect middle school math and English.

To get a clearer picture, my 8th grade math class is about an hour and fifteen minutes everyday. I am have an awful time trying to come up with effective lesson plans as a result. All of my other classes have block scheduling so I have a group of students every other day, and when I was student teaching, the school had period scheduling so while the classes were everyday, the time was significantly shorter. I feel like I have far too much time on my hands. Trying to plan to keep the kids engaged for that amount of time every day is exhausting, as I feel that I haven't found the formula that works like I have for the rest of my classes.

It does, also, not help that I cannot stand the book my school provides. The lesson in the book are clearly made for period scheduling, so it seems to be somewhat expected that I do more than one lesson a class, which I have not been doing as there is a limit to how much the kids can learn.

Then lunch is right in the middle of the class, which creates odd pacing issues. I really want to come up with better ideas on to how to make the most of this situation so that I can have a productive year, and be the teacher these kids need, but I am just at a loss on what to do.

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Nov 11, 2020

I had one 8th grade class with lunch in the middle when I was student teaching, and man, was it a scheduling/pacing nightmare. They were always off where the other 2 sections were. I don't know why anyone would choose to do that, this year being the exception.

I have two suggestions: use the second part of class as homework time where they can ask questions and you can work with smaller groups to support understanding or add some sort of real-life application or project-based learning component for part of class. That would fix the issue with the book lessons not matching the time block you have. Both would be easy to sell/defend to admin. too, if the need should arise.

4. Miss Griffin

Miss Griffin New Member

Nov 12, 2020