First year teacher needing advice desperately

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by carb, Aug 10, 2010.

1. carb

carb Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a first year teacher in a multi-handicap classroom and feel overwhelmed at this point! I have 6, 7, and 8th grade students who go to specials at various points in the day each at different times. My principal told me that he wanted my classroom to be like a revolving door with students coming and going. The problem is that I have no clue how to teach particular subjects when I have students out of the room at various times throughout the day. The prior teacher had students complete a daily check list. Students were required to complete certain tasks each day before they left school. I feel that if I adopt this approach I will never receive the opportunity to provide direct instrction. Please help!

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

How often are all the students in the room at the same time? Does each grade of students go out together?

If each grade is going out as a group you could do something like this:

Period 1 - Grade 8s Out of Room, Grade 7s Individual Work Stations, Grade 6s Group Lesson

Period 2 - Grade 8s Individual Work Stations, Grade 7s Group Lesson, Grade 6s Group Lesson

I think it really depends on which students leave when. Give a few more details and perhaps someone will have some ideas.

4. carb

carb Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

Okay..here is the schedule I was given. I have 3 8th graders, 2 seventh graders, and 1 sixth grader during period one. I have two 8th graders, 2 7th graders, and 1 sixth grader during period 2. I have 2 seventh graders and 2 sixth graders during period three. During period 4 I have 2 sixth graders for half of the period and then they go to lunch. Duirng period 5 I have 1 8th grader all period and the other 2 8th grade students for the second half of the period, one seventh grader for half of the period and two sixth graders for the whole period. During peiord 6 I have 3 8th graders and two 6th graders. During period 7 I have 2 8th graders and 2 sixth graders. During peiod 8 I have 2 seventh graders and two sixth graders. WOW!!!!Confusing! To make matters worse each grade is on a different bell schedule. I feel like I am going to loose my mind just looking at this schedule.

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

Wow - that is busy. How many learning assistants do you have and to they go out with the students when they go out?

I'm thinking you might be looking at a combination of small group lessons and individual work stations throughout the day. I would start by building a table with each student across the top and the periods down the side. Cross out when students are out of the room. Then think about what lessons you would like to teach in a day - perhaps one math based lesson and one language arts based lesson (or some other combination). Find two times where you could do the math based lesson with a small group and make sure you end up teaching it to every student. The students that aren't in the lesson would either be out or doing individual work stations. Then do the same with language arts. Then start labeling what type of individual work station the students who are not in the room will be doing.

The other way you could do it is just to make up a schedule and just teach who is there at the time and ensure that the students who missed a lesson work on the concept at some other time when all students are doing individual work stations.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 11, 2010

What levels are they at?

7. carb

carb Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Thank you for the great advice mom2mikey.

8. carb

carb Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

My students range in ability levels from approxiamtely first through third grade.