First year teacher life balance

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by kellynicole731, Jan 4, 2015.

1. kellynicole731

kellynicole731 New Member

Jan 4, 2015

how is the first year of teaching?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2015

I moved across country to a new city (but back to a familiar area, closer to family and friends) for my first year teaching, and for me personally, the combination of learning a new city and all that comes along with it (weather, culture, transportation, where to buy groceries?!?, etc) while also dealing with a steep learning curve in a new city was overwhelming.

All that being said, I know myself better now and realize that I personally get overwhelmed easily and don't deal with change all that well. So this was just my own experience and I know other people who could handle it beautifully, so I would just look carefully at how well you have dealt with major life changes and challenges in the past to decide for yourself. It could end up being fabulous for the right person!

4. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 6, 2015

Your header says you're in CA. If the job is also in CA, and you have to go through BTSA along with everything else, that may be a lot more on your plate. I'm in my first year of it now, and it takes an enormous amount of time and creates additional stress. I don't know you personally or your situation, and from what I hear every county is different in terms of the amount of work required, so I'm just throwing it out there as one more thing to consider. On the other hand, jobs are scarce and anyone in CA has to go through it anyway. Perhaps tossing it in when you don't have a lot of other distractions like social obligations might make it easier.