First year teacher in the fall-2nd grade?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by aen05, Jun 29, 2010.

1. aen05

aen05 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

I will be a first year teacher in the fall in Florida. I will be teaching 2nd grade. I have a couple of questions. 1st of all-I did my internship in kindergarten and I always talked about myself in 3rd person with the little ones. "Miss Neely would like you to do this", etc. I think I do this because my parents always talked about themselves in the 3rd person to me. They actually STILL do sometimes lol. It worked with kindergarten; is it going to be werid with 2nd graders? I don't think I'm going to be able to stop myself from doing it lol. I have no idea what tone to use with them either. I always used somewhat of a baby voice with kindergarteners. Do you use your normal adult tone with 2nd graders? I feel really overwhelmed and unprepared and although I have been hired officially; it is REALLY hard to get in touch with my principal. I do start training with my school 2 weeks before the students come in but I'm not sure that is going to be enough time considering I have had no experience with the 2nd grade or teaching whatsoever. Any suggestions on what I can do to prepare myself for this grade level? Thank you!

3. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jun 29, 2010

Use your normal speaking voice when speaking to students at any grade level. Some 2nd graders may be just like kindergarteners. Remember what you learned from your mentor teacher and the ideas you have. If there is another 2nd grade teacher in the building seek him/her for help.

4. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

Definitely use your tone voice with children. As for referring to yourself in 3rd person, I think that will have to be something you figure out once you are with them. I don't do 3rd person talk but my collaborative special ed teacher who works with 3rd-5th does talk in
    3rd person. If you feel more comfortable with that, go with it.

One thing that I do every year is "set the tone" with a stern voice/behavior when going over procedures etc. I am nice but give the impression that I mean business. Once I get through the first month, I lighten up and get much more playful and start to build a relationship with my students. I feel they need to know that you mean business and if they follow instructions and do their best, we will have fun and develop a lasting relationship. It seems to work for me well. Good luck!

5. aen05

aen05 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

Thank you for the encouragement. I will definitely try to use as close to my regular voice as possible. I kind of become a louder, more enthusiastic person when I am in front of a class. I will use an adult tone though. My main problem is not knowing what kind of freedom I am going to be given as a teacher at this school because it is a private school. I am not sure if I even get to set my own classroom rules, or if there are schoolwide grade level standards set by administration. Since I was hired and processed, I have been unable to get in touch with my principal (I have called and emailed her) and I am thinking of just showing up at the school since they are open for summer programs but I don't want to seem too pushy. I just want to make sure I am as prepared as I can be in order to give my students the best education possible, but my school is making it difficult for me to get started :/

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 29, 2010

Waiting is the hardest part if you are a planner by nature (like me). Do you know how to contact any of the other teachers at your school? That might be a great way to figure things out. Do the teachers at your school have web pages -if so, get nosy. Maybe look up other 2nd grade teachers web sites at other schools and see what ideas they have? Just some ideas for you. You sound like me and I know I go crazy if I can't plan at least a little.

7. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jun 30, 2010

I agree with teacherlissa. You need to set the tone so they know you mean business. As for the 3rd person my principal does not like us to do that. If you think about it it almost makes it seem lke when you say "Mrs. Smith needs your attention now" that you are talking about someone else. It may be a little confusing. If you set the tone in the beginning and use 3rd person I think it will defuse it a little.

As for getting ready I would go in the school. To me it looks like you are a good planner, wanting to be prepared,shows enthusuam, etc. You may be surprised how many teachers are there. Does your principal have an administrative assistant? Maybe he/she will know more? The only issue in the summer is usually they are cleaning and the custodians do not want you in yoiur room while they do it.

I'd go for it!:)
    (Where in Florida are you?)

8. aen05

aen05 Rookie

Jun 30, 2010

Thank you for the responses! I think I'm going to go by there when I get back from vacation in July. I'll give her a couple more weeks to invite me herself lol and if she doesn't I'll just show up. Touchthefuture- I am in Tampa. Are you in FL too?

9. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jun 30, 2010

Yeah I am in Palm Beach. I though maybe you were too. I know you said you were in a private school but if there is anything you need to know about Florida curriculum just let me know.

10. NewToo

NewToo New Member

Jul 4, 2010

I am new to teaching too!

I saw your post and I can definately relate! I am brand new to the teaching field and will be teaching 2nd grade this fall. My contract isn't finalized yet, but in the meantime I am pacing back and forth wondering what (and how) to teach! I am a planner by nature, so of course I want all the details ASAP and feel like I have to know anything and everything there is to teaching by August. Since I (and my husband) got tired of my restlessness, I sought out beginning supplies I know I'll need at places like Big Lots and Dollar Tree (go there if you want a lot of teacher stuff like banners for the room, etc at a cheap price!) I, too, live in Florida but in the Jax area. If you have a professional development center in your area, I would look into what classes they are offering this summer and see if you can get into some of those - I've been told that's what would help me with the curriculum knowledge. Know that you are not alone in this time of uncertainty - it's good to know there is someone else out there feeling the same way! :)