First year teacher in need of fantastic and effective classroom management plan

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Luv2Teaching, May 28, 2011.

1. Luv2Teaching

Luv2Teaching Rookie

May 28, 2011

First year teacher in need of classroom management plan for K and 1st Grade

I am hoping to get a kindergarten or first grade teaching position this coming year (Fall 2011). This will be my first year teaching:):)

What are some effective management plans you have used for one or both of these grades?

If you wouldn't mind sharing documents that would be awesome!!

Thank you so much for your help!!!

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 28, 2011

Pssssssst,
    Good morning!
    Rebel1:D

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

I think that it sounds like you have a good plan. The trick is to make sure that you are consistent with the plan.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

May 28, 2011

I have found in first grade that incentives like filling a marble jar or class stars or a paper chain that starts at the ceiling and they earn them until it touches the floor etc. are very well received and they are so eager to please their teacher (most of the time) that they work very well! :)
    Also check out books from Responsive Classroom. They are gems!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

I use the color card system too, but what I find even more effective is the group point system I have them on.

My kids sit in groups of 3-4, and earn group points through-out the day for things like working well together, transitioning quietly and quickly, etc. Occasionally they lose points if they argue, are unkind neighbors (being kind neighbors is a concept we begin to work on at the very beginning of the school year, and therefore they are always working n their neighbor skills everyday), etc.

This helps them learn to work together, which is a very important social skill, as we well know. They begin to negotiate with one another, and learn to think of others before themselves. Mot students do not want to upset their group members, so they are quick to follow instructions in hope of a group point, and not wanting to disappoint the rest of the group.

Groups with the most points are typically dismissed first to line up, to come to the math or reading floor, etc. Maybe you could even give a sticker to the group with the most points at the end of each day (I haven't done that yet, but I have a particularly tough group next year, so I might do that).

On Fridays, we count points, and group with 15 points (a very realistic goal, which means they have only had to earn at least 3 points a day, and maintained those points...most groups earn much more, but might be spending them as well to go to the bathroom or outside for water) can participate in free-time Friday (which I do at the end of the day on Fridays for about 15-20 minutes). A group that does not have enough points will not participate.

This method has been extremely effective for me.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 28, 2011

I find whole group points the most effective for first grade also. I use smiley faces and frowning faces, when the smiley faces win at the end of the day I add to a "bank account" which earns them an extra recess for eight of them.

I also use constructive consequences for individual children. I outline a list of expectations and have the children start to understand what the actions they use qualify as.

I do not use the spotlight. I found it just made the children who were already having problems more frustrated and less apt to do what they needed to do. I let the children know through strikes which I note down on a piece of paper. When the children reach three they are past warnings.

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 28, 2011

9. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

May 29, 2011

What ever you do, just make sure that it's VERY CONSISTENT. If it's a rule today, make sure it's a rule tomorrow, no matter what.

10. learningstill

learningstill Rookie

May 30, 2011

Whole Brain Teaching

Check out the Whole Brain Teaching website. There are also videos of classroom teachers using this on You Tube. I found it very effective with the tough class I had this year.

11. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 30, 2011

I agree. The points/marbles/chain to earn something works wonders.
    The thing I need to make sure I start with next year is smaller awards. I started them big so if I said the group with the most points would get stickers they would look at me like I was crazy.

I need to start with stickers or being able to line up first.

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 2, 2011

What are your consequences?! I've seen teachers use the stoplight system in kindergarten and had it backfire. Two warnings for all day isn't very many for kinder...especially in the beginning! So, if it's 10AM and Johnny is already in red then what?!

A coworker and I came up with a system we use in kindergarten...
    For the first few months of kindergarten I use verbal warnings and if needed, move children away from the group. I call it sitting at a table for 1.

Come January I step it up and we start using the school wide behavior program...of course it is modified for kindergarten. I have a pocket chart and each child is given a number (this protects their identity in case Johnny's mom comes into class. I don't want her on the phone calling Sarah's mom telling her Sarah was in trouble...) Anyways, the children get one verbal warning and then if I call them down, they have to put a popsicle stick in their pocket. (They follow a color coding pattern. That way I can glance and if I see a blue stick I know they are one away from a bif) After 8 sticks (weekly), they receive a BIF (behavior infraction form). This is sent to the office, signed by parents, and on file for our behavior team to review. The BIF keeps the children from participating in the school 6 weeks incentive.

I think it's important to hold children accountable for behavior by the week. They need to look long term...if they have a bad day, they need to really straighten up for the rest of the week. It really gives them time to learn the rules and expectations. After all, kindergarten is where they are learning what is appropriate and not appropriate. First grade is much stricter! This has worked for me for years! The kids understand it and LOVE it! Some years I have zero bifs...last year I had four. Violence isn't tolerated in any form and is an automatic BIF. This is just my opinion and experience in kindergarten. You will figure out what works for you!:) Good luck!

Oh, I forgot to mention... I don't "do" rewards other than the 6 week incentive...usually a juice and bubbles outside or bingo, etc. I believe children should behave because it's the right thing to do...not for a reward. I do give out stickers randomly (especially in the beginning) or a few animal crackers to students who are doing what I ask. No treasure box or anything... Later when I do take home word cards children can earn prizes for reading!!!;)

13. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Fred Jones' Tools for Teaching methods! This book made my life so much easier and less stressful (for my students too)! Classroom management is vital in order provide a productive learning environment, and keep your sanity!

Right from the first day of school PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE until every student does it exactly the way you want it, every time. By that I mean practice lining up, handing in papers, even how you want them to walk into the classroom. Even if you have to practice 20 times and you may be late to lunch or specials, but it will pay off later. Trust me, it's grueling and frustrating, but be patient and make sure that they do it until it's absolutely perfect. I used to feel bad when the class was practicing lining up or walking in line (after the 50x it seemed), all but ONE students would do it right! Ughh! But I made the whole class sit down, or walk back and try it again because I learned that the whole class needs to know that you mean business and that you say what you mean. After they got it down, smooth sailing ;) I hope this made sense, and helped you a little :).

Oh, I also want to add that you may want to create a procedure for tattling because they do that constantly in 1st grade! Take care and good luck!

14. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 7, 2011

I AGREE with the practicing! Pretty much practicing and learning routines is what I teach for the first month-6 weeks! Once they get it, it makes the rest of the year run VERY smoothly!!! :) There have been times we have practiced walking to the lunchroom, to the computer lab, etc. several times throughout the day! Trust me, it is time well spent!:)

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

I think any classroom management plan is only as "fantastic and effective" as the teacher implementing it.

16. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Jun 21, 2011

I use the clip chart system. I love it! I just did a post last week on my blog about my behavior management system if you want to check it out. You can also download my behavior sheet that I send home each week.

http://fun-in-first.blogspot.com

17. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 22, 2011

Love it! This is very similar to what I do...except I use a pocket chart and popsicle sticks! I use the same colors though! What color do they start on?! Do you move them back every day!? I've been off on maternity leave and my pocket chart is trashed...I might try this instead of purchasing a new one!;) I could do this like my current system...just presented differently! Thanks!:)