First-year teacher has a question about breaks.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nayelismom, Jul 2, 2008.

1. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

I'm going to start teaching (2nd grade) for the first time ever this August. I have a baby that was born in April which I am breastfeeding and will like to continue feeding with breastmilk. I have alot of milk reserved but I have one questions...

Do we get periodic breaks throughout the day so that I can pump?

Any other teachers out there pump? If so, how'd you do it? :help:

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

last year my team member was breastfeeding and she would pump everyday during our special and our lunch. She would just close and lock her door, turn the lights off, shades down, and find a secluded spot that couldn't be seen from the door.

4. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jul 2, 2008

I had a teammate who pumped during her specials or lunch time. She borrowed the smaller resource room which had no windows. She pumped in there because our classrooms had no doors.

When my first baby was five months, I went back to work. She was born in April like yours. I decided not to try pumping at school. It seemed stressful to me. I'm sure I could have pulled it off, but instead I got her used to taking a bottle of formula during the day for a few weeks before I had to report to work. I still breastfed her in the early morning and in the evening and at bedtime, though, for several months. She was on the "combo" plan, I guess you could say. It worked for us until I weaned her from breastfeeding (bedtime feeding was the last to go) completely at about 9 mos. She was happy with her formula bottles, and it wasn't hard to accomplish since she was already so used to her bottles.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2008

I suppose it will depend on your school. 3 days a week, I have my kids from the time they enter the door until they leave. We have lunch duty and have to take them to recess ourselves. We only have 3 "specials" per week and 2 are scheduled back-to-back one day per week so we have have grade level meetings.

6. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Thanks! I guess I'll have to check with the P. My wish is to continue breastfeeding until he is 1.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 2, 2008

I believe you have a legal right to breastfeed at work, so make sure your principal doesn't bully you about it. I work at an property management office at the moment (only one more month!!!), and we had to put up special curtains and shades in a room on our top floor for a nursing mom. We usually charge tenants for this kind of work, but we were legally bound to give her a privacy room. If your school doesn't have this, hopefully they will gladly work to provide you (and possibly others) with it.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 2, 2008

Oh, and there was a teacher at my last school who pumped during the day, and she had the cutest bag for her pump. You never would have guessed it was a pump-I wanted to use it for a purse!!

9. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 26, 2008

Good for you! You are giving your child the best there is. Food made just for him!
    You will probably need to talk to your P about it. You need to pump about every 3 hours to keep up your supply. Maybe more times on Mondays. But with a teacher's schedule it may be whenever you can do it.
    I suggest you get a copy of Nursing Mother, Working Mother. Check your library or your local LLL. Its a great book.

10. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

The only consistent breaks I get are lunch and specials. Our lunch is only 30 minutes and by the time the kids get through and I come back to pick them up it leaves me about 20 min to eat. I was teaching when my first was born in May and tried pumping when I came back in August. It didn't work out for me; I just couldn't get myself to relax enough to get the milk flowing. It certainly doesn't hurt to try--I wish you the best! I bf my youngest for almost 2 years--it's wonderful!!

11. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

my daughter was born in january, i continued to nurse when i went back to school in march...and i pumped during my specials and lunch-make sure you have a space that doesnt get used regularly by someone else, i was told i could use the counselors office and it worked fine until she was locked out of her office when a new family came to tour the school and i was asked via email, no less, to pump in my room- which doesnt lock and has two windows with ...i didnt have time to do anything else during the breaks though-so make sure you give yourself time to do your copies, planning, grading, etc either before school or after school, so i got kinda overwhelmed but it was all worth it...now she is 6 months old and i started her on jar food so she'll get those twice during the day instead of nursing and i dont need to pump this school year

12. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 26, 2008

I pumped during my special and at lunch. I had a back room off my back room with no windows and I extended an extension cord into there. I had a mini fridge in my backroom which I put my milk in. I did this for the 5 mos. I was back at school.

13. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

My son was born in August, and I returned to school in November. He was exclusively breastfed, and I pumped milk for him 2-3 times a day from November to June. When I went back to school the following August, he drank whole milk since he was a year old, but I continued to nurse him when I was home with him.

Pumping is challenging, but it can be done. As mentioned, check the laws in your state. Your place of employment may be required to provide an adequate place for nursing moms to pump. Another thing to remember - don't get so caught up in the day to day business of teaching and "forget" to pump. It's easy to do because you'll have so much going on. Good luck to you.

14. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

You should be able to pump. You are doing something wonderful for your baby. Maybe you could even have someone arrange your classroom furniture so that you have a place to pump(but none of your kids has to know what it's for-to them, it's just a cozy corner.).

15. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

Thanks for all of the ideas!! My pump has a battery powered pack so it's very portable. :cool: I'm actually going to the school this Friday and hope I can scope it out and see what I can do. I'm determined to pump and feed ONLY breast milk so I'm sure I can make it work. I've been attending training this week while I've been in training. I feed him before I leave, pump during lunch, and pump as soon as I get home and it's enough milk for him since he's 4 months old and drinks about every four hours. My milk flows VERY well and I am able to pump at least 6 oz in less than ten minutes. I'll make whatever sacrafices necessary until he's one. Plus once he starts eating solids, he'll drink less frequently.

16. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 27, 2008

Most schools are very accommodating -- there are lots of "mommies" in teaching. :) Beware of one thing, though, In our school, if you pump any time other than lunch time, you are expected to make up the time afterschool. They generally overlook it if it is during your own planning time, but if you have to have a special break to pump, some schools will make you make up the time before you leave. (And yes, legally they can do it.)

17. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

I have pumped with two different babies. The first one, I made it the entire school year just pumping at lunch/recess time, once per day. The second child, though, didn't work out so well. I pumped at noon, also, but couldn't keep my supply up as long, ended up stopping nursing at 5-6 months. Although your school may accomodate you, I would not have been able to be away from my students for the amount of time needed to pump without feeling like I was slacking. I guess it was a mental thing. Therefore, pumping time would've been increased because I wouldn't have been relaxed. I'm in a small school, there probably wouldn't have been anyone to relieve me for a break, anyway. Good luck to you, it requires a lot of dedication to keep up the pumping, and it's a lot of hard work. I don't think others realize how challenging it can be to do something so wonderful for your baby. Don't be like me, though, if for some reason it doesn't work out. Thought I'd have a nervous breakdown because I was forced to stop before I was mentally ready to. After a few weeks, I began to realize how much nicer the day was when I wasn't always worried about getting to pump. My little one made it just fine, so just try to relax and "go with the flow"...no pun intended. :)

18. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Mrs. Mom makes a wonderful point that our best laid plans don't always work out, and it's OK. Take it as it comes and you'll make the best decisions for your baby as it goes along. It's that way with a lot of things in parenting. The babies are resilient; it's the mommies who get emotional and worry too much. Best of luck as the new year begins! It's a fantastic gift to give your baby.

19. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

I know at our school-there is a room where the nursing mothers go. They can choose to stay in their classroom. They just cover their windows and lock their doors. Let me just give you a hint. If you lock your door during pumping-make sure you unlock it before you leave to get the kids. Many times the teachers have come back and then they have to go and find a key to get in!! :)

20. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2008

Depends on what state you work in. In CALIFORNIA it was mandatory (WOMANdatory:lol:) that we got 2 ten minute breaks OR the State will be all over your EMPLOYER! Now in this other state, I haven't gotten a break yet. California might be expensive and all of that BUT at least they treat workers :cool:like human beings with needs.
    R1