First Year Teacher Gift Basket...help with wording??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LinzerCastle, Aug 7, 2008.

1. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

I am putting together a basket of teacher goodies for the teacher I am mentoring this year. Since it is her first year teaching, I am including a copy of Julie Danneberg's First Day Jitters.

I want to write an inscription in the book for her. Something cute with words of wisdom for her first year that she can keep throughout her teaching career. I always LOVE when people write something in the books they give me!

I'm having trouble coming up with something....any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!

3. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 7, 2008

What a thoughtful thing to do, Linz. That is so awesome that you already know who you will be mentoring. At my school, you are not assigned a mentor. As a first year teacher, you have to ASK 2 people (who you probably do not know) to be your mentors. It is very frightening. I love that you are assigned. Your mentee is very lucky have you and I think your idea is awesome!

I would probably just write - "From one teacher to another, please know that I am here for you."

From my experience, having my first classroom was just such a dream for me that it really didn't feel like I was a teacher till way into the school year. Especially if this girl is young and right out of college, if she is like me, she will still feel that teachers (even though she is one) are still way above her. I had the hardest time calling teachers that I worked with by their first names. My principal still gives me crap about calling her Mrs. _____! So in addressing her as a teacher, I think that will help her to feel calm. And just giving her the invitation and welcome that you are there to help her.

Good luck! Let us know what you write!

4. Moma2CamN2Kays

Moma2CamN2Kays Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

a mentor is this where you have to spend so many hours in an actual classroom, while they teach for observation etc? The teachers that i know well at my daughters school already told me when that comes up that i am more then welcome to come. I was just curious if this was the same thing :)

And that is so wonderful of you! If that were me, and it was my first days teaching that would break the ice for me, and make the rest of my day better and not near as nervous! :) I am sure you will make her day!

5. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Moma2 - Every new teacher (protege' - I HATE that word :)) in our district is assigned a mentor teacher in their same grade level. I will be helping her with any questions or concerns that she has for the full school year.

In our mentoring program, mentors are required to observe their "protege'" two times each month. During these observations I can write down any concerns I may have, but we like to use these observations as a time to provide positive feedback. My "protege'" will also observe me once a month, so that she can see how I run things in my room.

I do like how our district has set up the program, I am hoping to make her feel welcome and confident. I know how overwhelming the first year can be!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

Linzer, I know you already have your gift basket prepared, but have you seen Jonathan Kozol's new book, Letters to a Young Teacher? It's beautifully written, and I think it would be very inspirational to a new teacher.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 7, 2008

That isn't right! You are suppose to by Maine's new guidelines be assigned a mentor. My principal's husband is actually works for the State helping schools meet the standards for mentors.
    The mentors are suppose to be trained and all kinds of stuff!

8. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 7, 2008

We have a list of mentors that we need to choose from. We choose from a list of teachers that have taken the mentor course. Unfortunately for me, none of the teachers on the list were from my school. I had to ask two teachers from other schools in the district. They didn't know me from a hole in the wall, did not work with me, and trying to schedule meetings was insane!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

You are soooo sweet to make her a basket! Maybe include an inspirational Bible verse under your inscription.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2008

My school had a book study of this last year- it's nice for teachers of all experience...

11. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

What a nice mentor!! How about a nice quote like:

I teach bc I care,
    I drink bc I teach!

HAHAH jk jk...ok for real:

The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called "truth." ~Dan Rather

A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others. ~Author Unknown

Who dares to teach must never cease to learn. ~John Cotton Dana

The secret of teaching is to appear to have known all your life what you just learned this morning. ~Author Unknown (ha..so true!)

Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task. ~Haim G. Ginott