First year teacher freaking out

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by reckers, Aug 31, 2008.

1. reckers

reckers Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

Hello,

I'm a first year special ed teacher. I'm SO nervous, stressed out and freaking out all at the same time. To top it off, I'm a little over 7 weeks pregnant, but I'm happy about that. Well, school has only been in session for one week and already I've had to talk to the principal twice. The first time I got in trouble and they really chewed my butt out. I was inquiring about things, legalities basically and spoke with the AP because the principal wasn't there that day. By what I was saying, I was implying that the principal was doing something illegal. I didn't mean for that to happen at all! I just wanted some clarification. So, I got spoken to and was SO scared. I mean I screwed up BAD! I'm not part of a department. There's another SpEd teacher, an assistant, a diagnostician and a speech pathologist who both come a few times throughout the week and that's it. I'm asking lots of questions and feel like I'm getting on people's nerves. One of my friends says that even though I might be scared, I need to look like I'm not. When I ask questions, it looks like I can't do my job. Plus, I asked somebody about one grade levels schedule and what to do with my time since I don't have many students yet and I took a suggestion she gave me to heart. I don't want to say anything too specific for fear of being identified. Basically, I was asking for more work to do, when I guess I just need to learn to be patient. So, I was freaking out about my schedule, spoke to someone to vent and got spoken to again. Needless to say, I'm wondering, how can I recover? I'm not stupid, but I'm not all that confident. I get intimidated about going to my principal. I wonder who I can trust. If I'm stressed out or want to vent, I CAN'T talk about it at work because everybody gossips. I don't want to fall into that trap. Lord only knows what people might be saying about me now for my already two screw ups. I think I'm just stressing too much, need to relax and just do what the principal tells me to do and stay out of the office as much as possible. Anybody else already get in trouble or freaking out as a first year? Sorry this is so long. Thanks.:help:

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 31, 2008

Maybe find someone who isn't in your school to "vent" to and ask your questions if it's things in general. Find someone who is approachable in your building you can talk to. You should be assigned a mentor. Do you have an official person? If not, find someone you can talk to. You definately need someone just like everyone else that is new!

4. reckers

reckers Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

Hi Tennis Player,

Yes I do have a mentor, but they don't know much about special ed. Plus, they gossip just as much as everybody else. Sorry to say that, but they do. I mean I'm friendly to people and vice verse, but maybe that's all I should do. I want to have friends and get close to people, but it's like, what price do I have to pay? Maybe if I have teacher friends, I should aim for people in other districts? Or, maybe I just need to learn to vent without divulging every juicy little detail. I've thought about trying to journal too. I have vented to my husband, my friend in another state who also teaches and another not even in the teaching profession. With being a first year teacher, do I really just have to learn as I go? I guess I just have to dry to put on a brave face and look as confident as possible, even if I don't know all the answers. Thanks for the advice.