First year teacher, contract not renewed, help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by annabelle1, May 6, 2017.

1. annabelle1

annabelle1 Guest

May 6, 2017

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  3. thunderingherdgirl13

thunderingherdgirl13 New Member

May 6, 2017

I've lived through it and while I did not think it at the time, it was the best thing that could've ever happened to me. I was a first year teacher too when it happened to me. I am at a much better school now and love going to work every day. I was never given a reason why either, but did have a conversation with admin before I left regarding the type of reference they would give. There's nothing better than feeling wanted and appreciated and I have felt that way this year :)

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

May 7, 2017

THIS!!!! :yeahthat::handok::handok:
    It really can work to your advantage. I too went through this my first year. Its very common. It sucks at the time, but bigger and better is out there!

5. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

May 8, 2017

This happened to me last year--- my first year. Their reason was, "We can't give you a reason, you're just not a good fit for our school." I can say it was the best thing that that could have happened. A LOT has to deal with finding your footing and learning--- because let's be real--- student teaching and your credential program don't quite accurately reflect being on your own. Part of it is also your admin and fellow teachers-- last year my grade level never wanted to collab, we were always at different places, they were rude about helping and any questions. My admin always said come if you need anything, and when I did they'd brush me off--- it was a mess. This year, my team is AMAZING-- we collab 2x a week, we're all within a week of each other pacing wise and they are kind and supportive and wonderful.

You are just starting out-- you CAN do it. And we're here to cheer you on. :)