First year teacher concern :/

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GAteacher87, Nov 13, 2011.

1. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Nov 13, 2011

Do teachers ever get fired (from a public school position) based on students' test scores?

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2011

The powers that be are trying to change the rules to allow that in different states. I do not know which ones it is happening in. In California it breaks the ed code to base firing on the state test.

However before you have tenure you can be fired for any reason and the districts do not have to tell you why.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2011

If your annual evaluations depend on your test scores, then yes. Generally, though, I don't think that test scores would be the only cause for termination. More likely, a school would take a very close look at a teacher with low test scores and keep a running list of all the other areas where that teacher is also ineffective. If the school/district can document and demonstrate that the teacher is ineffective, that's grounds for termination in most cases.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 13, 2011

I don't think someone would be fired soley based on test scores, unless maybe it was with a group of students who had previously scored really high on the tests, and then suddenly when you get these same students, they score really low. I would think even then that they'd look into other parts of your teaching to see why the low scores happened. If the students got low test scores in a school where low test scores are the norm, I don't see how the admin could blame that on one individual teacher.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2011

I'm going to add that when an admin/school/district wants to get rid of a teacher, that usually happens, regardless of the reason. They have their ways. If you're a good and effective teacher otherwise and have a good relationship with your administration, I think you're fine, even if your students' scores are on the low side.

7. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Nov 14, 2011

It certainly going to depend on the state/school district you are working for.

For example if you work at an "assessment" driven charter that has to show so many test gains in order to keep their charter, then maybe you might be let go over test scores.

If you work at a normal public schools, they have to show about 3 years of low test scores in order to let you go on test scores alone. Again, this isn't a national law by any means. It's very case by case basis depending on the school district and the school.