First year teacher and noticing how your energy level can have a dramatic effect

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, Sep 11, 2013.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Sep 11, 2013

I only have a 30 minute lunch but sometimes I find myself trying to work through lunch to minimize my workload at home. And sometimes I just want to finish up what I was doing before lunch, which more often than not, eats up a significant portion of my lunch.

As a result, sometimes I don't eat my lunch properly.

My goodness, what a difference the day can be if you don't maintain good energy level by snacking here and there as well as eating your lunch properly. The days that I don't eat right, the day drags on forever. I get really irritated at my kids and even the most mundane things throw me over the top making everyone miserable. I even dread my job on those days. But the days when I do eat properly, it's like waking up to a bright sunny day. The kids are absolutely wonderful and I enjoy my job.

So just a reminder. Eat properly!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2013

... and get plenty of rest.

It's difficult, but we have to learn to get done whatever has to be done with work and/or family in time to get to bed at a decent hour.

Going into work overtired is a prescription for a cranky, aggravated teacher. You and your students both deserve better.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 12, 2013

Yes, yes, yes! Last year I started eating healthy breakfasts (no more Pop Tarts), packing healthy lunches (no more Lean Cuisines), getting plenty of sleep and working out 3-5 days a week. The difference in my energy levels were immediate and astounding. The 25 lb weight loss was a nice side affect:)

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2013

This is especially important at the secondary level where your period 6 students deserve just as much energy and enthusiasm as your period 2 kids. It is not easy to do day in and day out but it is something to be constantly mindful of for sure.

6. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 12, 2013

My 1st period students get less of me than my other periods, primarily because I'm still working the kinks out of sequencing within a period and anticipating areas where students will struggle and need more support.

By 2nd period, though, I'm relatively confident that the rest of the day will go smoothly. Poor first period guinea pigs!

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 12, 2013

I'd kill to have a 30 minute lunch! I get between 15-20 minutes, if I'm lucky.

8. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Sep 12, 2013

Same here. My first period are still asleep. I am somewhat awake but I feed off my students. When I ask them questions and they are just zzzz... or I try to crack a joke and they're zzzz.... then it kills the mood. Plus the whole thing about getting a feel for the lesson the first go around. Definitely my strongest period is the one after leading up until last period and we're all just wanting to end the day! lol