First Year Teacher and Newlywed...need advice

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Malaya3, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Malaya3

Malaya3 New Member

Oct 13, 2008

My husband and I have been waiting to start our family anxiously. Now that we are married we have been trying to get pregnant, but I am so scared that if the timing does not match (and its definitely getting there) I will have to take time off from work to have our baby. I am very anxious, stressed and nervous as it is, but now I am really worried that I would lose my job or rather be excessed or not given a favorable position if I was to get pregnant. Anyone facing this situation or knows someone who has faced it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2008

Are you already teaching? If so, they can't get rid of you because you are pregnant- by law, it shouldn't effect you getting a job if you don't have one yet. You can check your contract to see if you get maternity leave, or if you can just use your sick time- taking time off to have a baby is not a bad thing! Being anxious and stressed about it will not help you get pregnant though- so relax! It will happen when it is meant to be. Good luck! :)

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 15, 2008

Not the only one : )

It's funny because I am in a position similar to you. This is my second year teaching however, and my partner and I feel like waiting until I'm tenured is the best idea. I just keep in mind when I think about timing and such that so many other women before me have gone through this point and have taken time out throughout the year to have their child and go on maternity leave. In fact in my first year teaching two women had long-term subs at some point to have their child.

I think that while having a child is something that can be planned specifically, I've kind of kept the idea that it will happen when it will happen.

I'm not really sure when the 'best' timing is...

It's a situation that I think about a lot too, so feel better that you're not the only one :)

5. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 15, 2008

I don't know if there is ever a "perfect time" to start a family. If you wait on this, then it will be something else. If a family is what you want - go for it. Don't wait to enjoy and live your life - do it now. By the way, I don't know why they would fire you for pregnancy.

6. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 15, 2008

Like others have already said, they can't get rid of you for getting pregnant. If you're pregnant while looking for a job it might be a little harder, but teaching is one of those professions, I would think, were they kind of EXPECT that we'll have kids. We obviously love children or we wouldn't be great teachers. I interviewed for a position today, and the P made a point to tell me that teaching is a great job, especially if my husband and I are considering starting a family. It sounds like he realizes it's just one of those things that happen, and most of the time it's a GOOD thing, certainly nothing to fire anyone over!

Oh and BTW, good luck! The most important thing to remember is... have fun trying! :wub:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008