first year---scared to death

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hopeful-Teacher, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hopeful-Teacher

Hopeful-Teacher Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

Hi!!!
    I need to know that I am not crazy! I was finally offered a job teaching first grade last Thursday. I was so excited and now the panic has set it. I haven't been able to sleep but a few hours each night since then. I also am not very excited about going in to sign my contract. What in the world is wrong with me?????
    I have always had problems dealing with change and this is a big one I guess. New school, new team, new everything.
    I know I can do this---why am I so scared???????
    Please help!!! :help:

3. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

First off congrats!!!! It is normal to be anxious. You will do great. It is a big adjustment, but in time you will get more comfortable. Good luck!:thumb:

4. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Aug 1, 2011

You're scared because you CARE, love! You care about doing the best job you can, and that's quite an undertaking, as you well know. You're going to be a fabulous teacher with that kind of passion behind what you do. Rock and roll, sister.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 1, 2011

Congrats! You are normal, and as GAteach said, if you weren't a little nervous, I would be worried! I've been teaching for 17+years now, and I still get nervous before each school year! Give yourself time to adjust, and you will be great. Good luck!

6. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 1, 2011

I just accepted a job last week, and I'm feeling the exact same way. I'm sure you will do great.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2011

Congrats! That is a perfectly normal feeling. You will have times where you are more settled and time when you are feeling more anxious, it's all just first year teaching and for many, beyond the first year as well.

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

You'll do fine! Be glad you got the job and try to enjoy that feeling!

9. BlueskyFL

BlueskyFL Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I agree with everyone here! You are dedicated and you want to ensure that your students succeed. It is a serious undertaking. The fact that your realize this shows just how much you care about teaching.

You'll be great!! :)

10. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

Congratulations! Take it one step at a time. As Knitter63 said, I still get nervous as well! You'll do just fine!

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 1, 2011

Everyone is scared their first year. You'll look back on it and wonder how on earth you managed, but it really all does work itself out!

12. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

That's totally normal! I was scared to death my first day. I remember sweat dripping down my back... fast forward four years. Every year, a few weeks before a new year begins, I start to have Back To School Dreams (actually nightmares). This year it has been that the kids refuse to sit or use my I Want Out of My Chair signal. These dreams always involve someone of significance sitting in the room when the kids misbehave.

It means we care.
    :thumb:

13. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

I have always found that I do better when I am nervous (probably because I go through worst case scenarios in my head and work them out) so I think you will do just fine.

I was nervous about my contract signing too, since we were told the superintendent would "interview" us again. Turns out he really didn't and there was nothing to be worried about! I signed my contract, was given my keys, with a "good luck" on the way out!

14. Hopeful-Teacher

Hopeful-Teacher Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

Thank you all so much for your kindness! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!!! I will take deep breaths and smile. I am lucky to have this job so I should be happy!!
    Good luck to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Aug 1, 2011

Ditto everyone above...My first day of teaching, I was so nervous that I couldn't find the handouts that were literally right in front of me. I bet everyone has first-day jitters stories. Congrats to you and TRY not to be hard on yourself this year. :)

16. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

LiveN, I'm intrigued. Could you explain this signal?

17. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

I still get nervous every year. But like PP said, it means we care. You will figure it out. Have a great year.

18. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

1 finger up- I want out of my seat for pencil or water, etc
    2 fingers up- I want to go to the bathroom
    5 fingers up- I have a question

It cuts down on running around answering questions like, "Can I sharpen my pencil" repeatedly during focused work time. One or two fingers only requires eye contact and a nod from across the room.

19. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 2, 2011

I was nervous too, and I lost a lot of sleep and weight during the year worrying about my job. Why are students so disrespectful and hateful? Why are admins ganging up on me? Why do I have miniminal support? After 2 unsatisfactories, I decided I didn't give a ****. I refused to sign my evaluation, and I usually left a few minutes after the school bell.

20. missgfl

missgfl Rookie

Aug 2, 2011

I accepted a job at the end of the July, and yeah, that's the way I feel too =)

I have been telling people that I'm about 70% excited and 30% terrified for my first year. I'm really anxious about all the administrative stuff...I still have to go get fingerprinted and I start with new teacher orientation on Monday. A lot of it for me is the fear of the unknown.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

Well, congrats! IN a time when many are looking but few are being handed contracts, this is great news. It is very normal to be nervous, so I wouldn't worry about that. I don't particularly like change either, but change can be good, and can help you grow. Once the newness wears off, it'll be the same ole routine, and you will be comfortable and just fine. In the mean time, be nervous, but keep calm and don't let the nerves show. Go in like you are all confident and brave, and everything will fall into place.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2011

You'll be fine! Youre nervous because you care about doing a great job...and you will. You worked hard for this...
    Deep breaths. One step and one day at a time.
    A few weeks in, you'll be in the groove and wonder what it was you were worried about.:love:

23. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Aug 2, 2011

Hopeful- I was a new 1st grade teacher last year. PLEASE email me anytime you want with any questions, comments, anything! I'd love to help and give you/share ideas. I remember just how overwhelming it was!

And Milsey- Maybe this is way out of line but your attitude really makes me sad.. You don't give a ****? Perhaps this attitude is what earned you the 2 U's in the 1st place.

24. MissBelle

MissBelle Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

You're not alone at all! I'm a first year teacher this year, too, and I am scared as anything! After the initial excitement of getting the job wore off, I started panicking just a bit...once I even woke up my fiance in the middle of the night worrying that I wouldn't be a good teacher. I am so excited to finally teach, but I'm so nervous too. There's so much to do before school starts and it's pretty overwhelming. But apparently it's normal, and the nerves how much we care and want to do a good job. Best of luck to you this year! Please feel free to email or PM me if you need anything or want to chat. Maybe we should start a first year teachers support club, haha. :)

25. Hopeful-Teacher

Hopeful-Teacher Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

Thanks again to you all. I feel better knowing that I'm not alone!!!!
    Elizabeth

26. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 3, 2011

Oooh, ooh, can I join?!

27. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 3, 2011

OohH, me too!

28. MissBelle

MissBelle Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

Of course!!!!!

29. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 4, 2011

You will do fine... I am nervous every year, or anytime there are massive changes. I am a firm believer that the nerves help you do a better job preparing yourself, so use the nervous energy to help yourself get everything done and write down all the things you want to talk about during the first few days and practice going through them with kids.

Congratulations on landing a job! :) I wish you a great first year!

30. Hopeful-Teacher

Hopeful-Teacher Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

Thanks!!!!

31. chellyoner

chellyoner Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

Congrats. Teaching jobs are hard to come by. I am sure you will do just fine.

32. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2011

I'm in for a first year teachers support group!

I'm so nervous about starting this year! I finally got to talk to the other English teacher today and do feel much better. He is only going into his second year or third year I think so he still remembers what it was like :lol: He said he'd be happy to meet with me next week so I think I'm definitely going to take him up on that!