First year Pre-k Teacher...Parent Meeting...help!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cml88, Jul 14, 2011.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Jul 14, 2011

I got a position as a Pre-K teacher starting this September. However, I am very nervous because this is my first year teaching in my own classroom. I will have a meeting for the parents in 2 weeks.
    What should I discuss/do at this meeting?

My initial thoughts were to give each of the families a folder that includes:
    -An introduction letter introducing myself
    -List of supplies
    -the daily routine in the classroom

But this is as far as I got...I Just don't know what to expect.

What other things should be provided to and discussed with the parents at the parent meeting?!?

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 14, 2011

Is it private or public?

At our meeting we discuss:
    Centers - what they are- how it is learning and not just "PLAY."
    We ask parents to write down any allergies/medical conditions we need to know about.
    We talk about dress code (We go out in the winter above 32, we don't allow flip flops etc.)
    We talk about arrival/dismissal procedures.
    We talk about our schedule (we operate on a 4.5 day schedule).
    We open it up for questions.
    Talk about first day jitters (usually more on the side of hte parents and how they can help their children adjust).

4. abcme

abcme Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

Parents always ask about discipline. I tell them my goal is to minimize the need for it by keeping the children busy and engaged, leaving hardly any time to become bored or for opportunities for misbehavior. I explain that about using redirection, and positive discipline. I don't like to use time outs unless a child is a physical threat to children around them. Just be prepared to tell themhow you will handle situations.

5. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

Transportation! how will the children get home on a daily basis... emergency transportation in case they are not able to answer the phone.

Sick policy... for example if a child in our district has a fever, they cannot return to school until 24hrs after the fever has subsided.

Will they have home school connection (homework). Skills to help prepare them for kindergarten. For example 15 minutes of reading each night Then follow up with drawing a picture, about what they liked didnt like. Writing there name, alphabet, numbers, 1-1 correspondence etc.

Lunch policy... if they bring their lunch discuss the importance of having a fruit, vegetable, protein, dairy if not allergic etc

On open house will the classroom be setup so they can see what the classroom looks like?

6. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jul 20, 2011

Tell parents your communication expectations. Be very clear about times to contact you, when you will return calls, how to contact you, etc. The key is to stick to what you have laid out for parents.

Read up on articles about creating classroom community with families.

7. skerns

skerns Companion

Jul 20, 2011

Orientation

The suggestion above are all great and also what we do. Here is a copy of my brochure that I give out the my parents on orientation night. Also a copy of the expectations of 4 year olds. We also talk about potty accidents and our policy, snack, show and tell, what they should bring the first day........ pretty much everything that is in my brochure.

This site will not let me send a document. You will have to message me and I can give you my email address.