First Year Interns?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Ms.C teaches, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I'm going to be a first year intern this year, and I'm still in my credential program. Who else is a first year intern??? Maybe we could form a support group of interns?? Let me know if you're up for this.:)

3. ICanDoThis

ICanDoThis Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I am a first-year intern as well. I've accepted a job at the high school level in special education and I am so excited! I've overheard some special ed aides saying that they don't appreciate interns because they are so "wet behind the ears." I figure, I'll show them! But I definitely am going into this with a lot of questions!

4. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

ICanDoThis ~ I will be a special ed teacher at a middle school!!! Like you, I have a lot of questions. Good luck to you!!

What state are you teaching in? I'm in Southern California.

5. ICanDoThis

ICanDoThis Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I'm in the southern California area as well.

6. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Hello fellow southern californians! I am an intern out here too. :) Congratulations to you both! Count me in on any support groups. I am still suffering through the credential program too. I did get to teach last semester for the first time. It was a lot of survival planning. I am a bit nervous for my first full year, my own class (I was taking over as the 5th teacher before)...yikes!

7. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Where do you go to school? I'm National University's combo special ed/multiple subjects credential and masters program.

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2008

Hi from Texas -- it's my first year, too, so please allow me to join you. If we all stick together we're safe, right? :haha:

9. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I am in the Single Subject program at Cal State San Bernardino. Isn't National University in SB also?

10. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

National is based out of La Jolla, but they have locations all over. I do the online program which is great, with working and kids!! It's so nice to do homework in your pj's if you want!!!

11. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

JEALOUS! I love jammies! :) I dread my 6-10 classes on campus. yuck!

12. ICanDoThis

ICanDoThis Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I didn't even know they had credential programs online. Wow - that's so cool for you! I'm at Cal Baptist in Riverside for the credential program, which is really amazing but sooooooo expensive. I'm looking into other schools for a Master's degree in the near future.

13. alsolo11

alsolo11 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I'm also a first year special education teacher in Southern California (SFV) through the LAUSD DI Program. I would love to be in this support group.

14. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

I am a district intern too, with LAUSD, and also in San Fernando Valley! Alsolo11, do you already have a job? Are you doing summer orientation right now?
    I just finished my 1st year. :)

15. Shawsome01

Shawsome01 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

ICanDoThis, I graduated from CBU in May. I attended the High Desert campus. I decided not to get my credential from them though because they didn't offer a program in the high desert and I didn't feel like spending all that money in gas to drive down to Riverside.
    I'm enrolled at Chapman University for my credential (high desert campus). I'll be teaching high school Algebra Readiness and Geometry.

Does anyone know of a store in the Inland Empire other than Lakeshore that I can buy supplies from? I'm trying to get ideas for my classroom.

16. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jul 23, 2008

Hey there,

No longer an intern, but that's how I started. I too went to CSUSB.

Shawsome, I'm no longer in Cali, but was from the IE. Do you know where the Galleria Mall is on Tyler in Riverside?

If you head towards Best Buy and pass Jack in The Box, there is one on the right hand side. The name escapes me. I liked them because they were cheaper than Lakeshore.

17. alsolo11

alsolo11 Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

Chokita, I just finished my first year too. I'm currently doing my three-week general education fieldwork. What cohort do you belong to?

18. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I am a Math Intern with San Diego Unified. Lots of interns in southern california.. its kind of funny

19. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

Hi Everyone :)

I'm in a program in Socal too! I'll be doing my ST January to June next year, but am doing all the basic fieldwork now. I'd love to be in on a support group to hear everyone's experiences too...

20. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

Get outta town! :eek: Are we in the same group? :lol: That would be too funny!

I'm in a moderate/severe group.

21. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I'm doing mild/moderate in the La Habra City School District.