First Year in Kindergarten!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by flowerpower31, Aug 16, 2012.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

I was just offered a position to teach kindergarten at the school where I taught pre-k last year. I'm SO excited, as kindergarten has been my dream job!

Is there any helpful advice that any of you can offer? I'm a little overwhelmed (our kinders start a week sooner than our pre-k kids, so I'm now behind a week and have to change everything I already had planned)! I'm looking for anything...ideas that you've used that have worked well, kindergarten blogs you read, bulletin boards, etc. Whatever you've found helpful would be great! Thanks in advance! Looking forward to spending my year with all of you on here! :)

3. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 27, 2012

I wouldn't have survived without the management techniques I learned through Whole Brain Teaching (videos on Youtube). My kinders love the routine WBT provides- they know what is expected of them. It very quickly helps me create a class culture and feeling of belonging. I also use Responsive Classroom's web site - especially for behavior mamagement advice. Good Luck & enjoy every minute of it!!

4. Be_the_change

Be_the_change Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

Hi FlowerPower!

This is my first year teaching...and I'm a bit overwhelmed as well. Luckily, I have an experienced assistant and only 18 students on my roster for now. Like Mandijyn, I am incorporating parts of WBT into my classroom routine. Today was day 2 out of 3 of our staggered opening for kindergarten. I will have all 18 of my friends together for the first time on Thursday! :dizzy:

I'm just trying to remember to take it one day at a time, and I'm slowly learning to be ok with not knowing everything that I feel I should know. I know that there is a sharp learning curve in your first year (in any career or any grade change).

Just two blogs off the top of my head that I love (just google these):

Kelly's Kindergarten
    Jessica Meacham

I wish you the best of luck this year!!!

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

How exciting!
    Any kids from your last year's class? I wonder is any of them are thrilled and thinking that you requested to move up with them!?!
    Rebel1

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Congrats!

7. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 30, 2012

Thanks, everyone!

Yup, I've got a few kids from my class last year. I'm excited to see how they progress two years in a row. :)