First Year in Fourth! Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by BNC, May 12, 2020.

1. BNC

BNC Guest

May 12, 2020

Hello!

I have been teaching Middle School Special Education the past 3 years, but will be teaching Gen Ed 4th next year. I am super excited for the new adventure! I am certified to teach Gen Ed as well, but have never experienced 4th grade. I did my gen ed student teaching in a 1st grade classroom!

HELP PLEASE! I need all the ideas, tips, tricks, anything you have!

Thank you in advance!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 13, 2020

Everything you did in first grade, as far as classroom management, will still be necessary in fourth grade. But you'll need to treat them more like your middle schoolers, as far as how you talk to them and the independence you allow. Fourth grade can be fun... It's the first grade where they really can start to show some true independence. They are finally "big" kids, instead of "little" kids.

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

May 14, 2020

Less Stress and Get the Job Done

Whatever program, system or “latest and greatest” you choose keep in mind it should produce increased achievement and social skills while, at the same time, reduce your stress and workload. For example, it is of little practical use to saddle yourself with a management program that costs you an arm and a leg to run it and due to its complexity can generate more management problems. I recall a reward program where students were given “Lucky Bucks” for work, behavior etc. It was very showy and gave the illusion positive things were emphasized. The teacher was responsible for printing and cutting out LB. Idea was to catch students “being good” by carrying LB in a pocket and handing them out. However, find a place to hide and wear a kevlar jacket should you reward one student but fail to notice another student exhibiting the same behavior. Students will think you unfair and play favorites. Add to this the extra management when a student yells, “Someone stole my Lucky Bucks!” In other words, the Lucky Bucks program was literally not much bang for the buck.

Self Eliminate

How do you know the management method you are using is working? Answer: You don’t have to use it anymore. If it’s a good technique you should find yourself using it less and less until, finally, students are self-directed. If you find yourself using the same technique over and over it’s not working. Can it and move on to something else. I was having a conversation with a colleague at lunch. Conversation turned to discipline. The teacher, years of experience, swore by “names on the board” as her most effective method. She went on, “Yep. When I write a student’s name on the board they start to shape up. If I add check marks they really take notice. Three, and it’s a write up.” I asked, “When did you start your system?” Her reply, “September.” It was now April.