First week online

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Aug 14, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 14, 2020

We’re all online for the start of the year. We are being told we need to be on camera for 50 minutes per period (actual, full period is longer than that), 4 periods a day. When I am fully into my curriculum I can find ways to fill the time, but what about that first week?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 14, 2020

Can you lay groundwork? Give an overview of what's going to be covered, or place it in a broader framework? Make the case that it's worth knowing this stuff, and indicate how? Suggest good general resources online? Offer strategies for online learning? Recommend things to do between periods so one's brain glazes over less?

Would any icebreaker activities be appropriate?

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 14, 2020

The feedback from our students is that they really enjoy doing Kahoots, so maybe finding some that are good for getting to know each other would be fun?

otterpop likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 14, 2020

Yes, I can and will do all of that. I’d like to find some icebreakers that can be done via Zoom also. It’s just a long time to be on camera, and I’ll have each group for multiple periods each day. Normally I’d have them doing team building or working on About Me fun projects that require cutting and coloring as they get used to being in the classroom again after summer break. I’m not sure how to do that kind of stuff online. They could make an About Me PowerPoint or similar, but even that will require heavy instruction on how to access and use PowerPoint. I’m trying not to overwhelm them with technology the first week since they’ll need a lot of help with basics like how to log in, navigate our course software, and submit assignments.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 14, 2020

I need to look more into how to do Kahoot with Zoom. In the spring, I tried it via Zoom and it was okay but not practical. I think I read that they added features this summer.