First week of school

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Rascal225, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Rascal225

Rascal225 New Member

Aug 8, 2007

Hi everyone!

I'm a first year teacher teaching 5th grade. I'm SO excited for school to begin! :woot: I was wondering how far into the first week you wait to get into the main academics. Do any of you jump in the first day? Or do you wait a few days? I'm just looking for a nice balance between establishing the community of the classroom and starting in on academics. Thanks!

Kim

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

We start school on a Wednesday so I plan to be in the full swing of things by Monday. But...I do have to start Open Court (our reading program) on day 1 because we must follow our pacing plan exactly as it describes.
    The first few days I do team-building activities, practice procedures, and assess where the kids are academically.

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

My kids also start on Wednesday so I will start teaching on Monday. On Wednesday we are going over procedures and playing two truths and a lie (only a half day), Thursday, more procedures, syllabus, and more community games. I really want to do a lot of community building activities in the first few days so that I can try and fix the attitude that I found 5th graders had last year.

But by Monday we will have our first spelling pre-test and they will be getting homework!

5. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

We start school on Monday and we start some of our curriculum on Monday. We have a plan that we have to follow. We won't get in depth with homework and everything until the second or third day. We will do the beginning of the year chores and get acquainted stuff the first day.

6. LeslieC

LeslieC Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

We will start in 2 weeks from tomorrow. Typically, the first day is spent going over rules, procedures, a school tour (we are always moving our specials around and want the kids to know where they'll be going), paper work, and getting to know you. But, we do have a paced-curriculum and on the first day, we have our warm-ups, a spelling pre-test, and word wall words. Then Tuesday, we quickly/thoroughly go over the rules/procedures again, pick up all paper work, then add a small math, reading, and science lesson. By Wednesday, we are at it full speed ahead. :)