First Week of School:Would love any ideas :)

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by asiltropwen, Sep 1, 2012.

1. asiltropwen

asiltropwen Rookie

Sep 1, 2012

I have only taught lower elementary before this year. I will be teaching 5th this year and am wondering what your first days might look like.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2012

Are you in an elementary school, intermediate school, or middle school?

I am in elementary. I spend the first day doing over rules and procedures, setting guidelines, and doing 'fun' back to school things.
    By day 2, I am fully into regular school work. It goes slow, because we review policies and procedures, but I start treating it like a regular day.

Are you on Pinterest? If so, I can PM you my username and you can look at all the things I pinned since I am 5th grade as well.

4. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

May 13, 2013

I know this is an old thread but I've been subbing 5th grade this year and have fallen in love (I'm torn between 2nd, 5th and...9th! But don't want HS so 2nd or 5th is my target). I am going to be applying to a few intermediate schools for Fall '13 and would love to see your pins or if you could give me an idea of your rules/procedures that would be great!

Also, during the first couple days are the kids actually listening, or is that the biggest hurdle to get through? It seems like, with subbing, that's my biggest issue but I'm thinking it may just be because it's a sub not their regular teacher. Thank you in advance for any info!

5. misstealowe

misstealowe New Member

Jun 5, 2013

I am also new to 5th grade and a first year teacher. I would love to see some lesson plans and ideas for the first week of school. I know we are establishing procedures, so how do "games" and "fun activities" work into the schedule. Should I set up my plans to meet the regular schedule with a back to school grammar, back to school math, back to school reading, etc?

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 5, 2013

I would HIGHLY recommend the book Tools For Teaching by Fred Jones for summer reading. He has a lot that will show you how to set up procedures for a classroom. As a 5th grade teacher, I can say that his methods have helped with 5th grade a lot.