First week of school plans

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mjennings, Jul 25, 2005.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I am starting my first year teaching...first grade! I am wanting to start planning but I have no idea where to start? How do i plan out my lessons for that first week of school, how and when do i tell them about my rules about the class, etc. If anyone could please help with ideas of email me your lesson plans for the first few days that would be great. I just want to make sure that i plan the right amount of activities, etc.

My email is magurita09@aol.com

3. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

Read This Book :)

On my first year of teaching it helped me to read the book entitled, "The First Day's of School" by Harry Wong. He has wonderful ideas in this book. I also heard Harry Wong speak at a teacher's conference, and he really is good for first year teachers just starting out. Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

4. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

My advice is take is SLOW! last year I had a 1/2 split. My first time teaching grade one. When the kids came in on the first day the grade 2's went straight in the classroom and the grade ones just hung around the coat racks. I then realized "oh my goodness they don't know what to do". At that point I revamped my whole week of school. I play a few get to know you games during that week but also include a lot of "explanations" such as rules, calendar, etc. LOTS of modelling. On the first day I read the book "my teacher sleeps at school". I then share my paper bag that is filled with things about me and my family. The kids then get a paper bag to decorate and take home to fill with things about them. We do a few kids a day. I also do a mini unit on either franklin or arthur. Something they are comfortable with. Keep in mind this is the first time these little grade ones are venturing out of their comforable kindergarten surroundings. They need a lot of instruction. (I also hand out a lot of smarties at the beginning of the year when they are on task).

5. Hound

Hound Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I, too, have seen Dr. Harry Wong and have his book! It is a must read for beginning teachers.

6. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I am reading a book called The First Six Weeks of School. It seems pretty cool thus far. In addition to taking it slow, repeat process and procedures OFTEN. Also, don't let any behavior problem being brushed off. Nip it in the bud soon!

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2005

Yes. HARRY WONG. :) So important.

8. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 26, 2005

thanks....

9. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 26, 2005

Is his book good for grades 7-12 or just for elementary? I am just wondering if the ideas in his book are good for older kids

10. yessc31

yessc31 Companion

Jul 26, 2005

the book is for all grades. I feel it more geared towards middle and high school. However, there are some very help tips for elementary school

11. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 26, 2005

For anyone interested in downloadable resource books, the A to Z Teacher Stuff Store features 3 popular ebooks for grades K, 1, and 2. Each book has activities for the first week, ideas for preparing, and tons of reproducibles. All books are 125+ pages. More info here:
    http://store.atozteacherstuff.com/download-now/backtoschool.html

The authors, Stefani Sadler & Tracy Jarboe, have written several popular books and present at conferences.