First week of school activities

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by TXteacher51, Jul 6, 2010.

1. TXteacher51

TXteacher51 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Hello! I'll be a first year teacher this year and I'm working on my lesson plans for the first two weeks. I was wondering if any of you would mind sharing activities you do during the first week. Our theme, of course, is "Welcome to School!" I have a few books that I plan to read, but I'm looking for more hands on craft ideas.
    Thanks!
    Aj

3. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 6, 2010

I'm reading back to school books, and we're painting little boxes for each child to keep crayons and scissors in. I got the boxes for $.65 each at a closeout store-I'll have a max of fifteen students, so I can afford it.

I'm also looking for more ideas, so I guess I'll be following this thread!

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2010

I read and do a hand activity on the first day using Kissing Hand and Pocketful of Kisses. We discuss missing mom and dad and make a hand with a kiss in the middle to give to mom/dad at the end of the day. We also do lots with rules/procedures. They lvoe the Monster that went to school book and we do lots of modelign examples and nonexamples with that.
    Then near the end of the first week I start a Chicka chicka boom boom unit to begin our exploration of letters and sounds. we do make chicka booms (water bottles fill with glitter letters and water). We use those as we perform ccbb. Then I send them home. Kids adore them.

We really aren't given alot of times for tons of crafts and I have foudn the kdis don't miss them.

I do take a picture of them on the first day. I have a card we make for parents with the pic of their first day. We have our first conference in October and parent rave about them.

5. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 6, 2010

I write their names on a big piece of construction paper and I put Elmer's glue on their names and they glue beans, pasta, beads, buttons, pom pom balls...whatever they want.

I make a "Hug Book" for each students. Whoever is the student of the day is the one who the kids make the hug book for. Each of the students draw a picture of the student of the day and they write their name on the bottom (or they trace their name if they can't yet write their name). I then put the pictures together to make a "Hug Book." I do one book a day. I have a small class so it doesn't take that long but for a class of 20 it would take three weeks and it is something they do in the morning.

I read "The Kissing Hand" and they make a Chester the Raccoon cut n paste activity. You can find all kinds of first week activities at http://www.littlegiraffes.com/firstweek.html

I do name activities. One thing I do that the kids love is I get a plain white piece of construction paper and write their names with a white crayon so they can't see it. I give the kids water color paint and tell them "with your magic paint brush, you'll find a surprise" and their names "magically" appear.

I have the kids draw their first self portrait picture of the year. I give them little mirrors (you can find them at the dollar store) so they can look at themselves.

I make an "All About Me" book where they draw a picture of their favorite food, their family, where they live...anything you want and I staple it together to make a book for Back to School Night.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2010

ok I absolutely loved the idea on littlegiraffes.com about making a hand puzzle. I', doing that this year - already ordered!!!!

I used to buy the hand cutouts from dollar tree, but I like the idea of making a handprint on the puzzle even better!!!!!!!

7. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jul 6, 2010

Can you please tell me more about the "chicka booms." How do you make them? What kind of letters do you use? What do the kids do with them as you read the story? Thanks!

8. TXteacher51

TXteacher51 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Thanks for the ideas. I would like to do the magic paintbrush thing... but I'm a little nervous about using paints the first week. I'll probably go ahead and try it out though... what could possibly happen? :)

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2010

sure they're water bottles filled about 3/4 with water. Kids get to put glitter and letter confetti (from Oriental Trading). We decorate them and put curling ribbon around the tops - then as we read ccbb they shake them when we chicka chicka BOOM BOOM. They love doing it. I also have a song related to the story they sing and use their boom boom bottles - as they like to call them.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 6, 2010

I don't know if you're allowed to use food but we did this bus snack last year on our first Friday:

[​IMG]

It's just graham cracker, cream cheese with yellow food coloring, waffle pretzels and nilla wafers. It was a big hit and covers the objective of following directions.

We also do self-portraits-it's something we do in a different medium each month so it's really cool to look back on the first one they did. I also have them dictate a sentence about themselves.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2010

It seems like most of our time the first week is taken up by introducing them to routines, practicing them, reviewing them, etc. It seems like there isn't much time for anything else!

Something that I always do is read the book Elmer, and talk about how everyone is different. I have an elephant template that I print out on cardstock. The kids cut it out and glue on different colors of tissue paper to make it look like Elmer. It's very simple, and I can get a first-glance at how they follow directions and cut.

I also do a LOT with names, since many of them write their name in all caps. I honestly can't think of of my name activities off the top of my head right now, though.

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2010

Be afraid!!!! Be very afraid!!!!!! :p

13. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 6, 2010

It's just water color paint...it's not very messy and I've never had any problems with it, just pushing down with their paintbrush a little too hard.

14. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 7, 2010

Wonderful ideas!

15. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

Ever tried fingerpainting with Pre-Ks the first day? Been there, done that! :eek: :D :lol:

16. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 7, 2010

Oh, believe me...I know! I guess I've just never had any issues which is why I've always done it during the first week. But you never know, this year could be different. :)

17. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

If you want to do something with paint that is super easy get some dot painters. I get my mine from Lakeshore, but bingo stampers are the same thing (although some people say that not all brands are totally washable). The kids love them, they are not messy and you need no water or brushes. We make painted apples with red, green and yellow in September. We also use them to trace our names (that I put on big paper for them), and so many other things during the year. I love dot painters.

18. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 8, 2010

Dot paints ROCK!!! The kids love them and they are very clean to use! :)

Someone mentioned the book Elmer...I use dot paints for the kids to decorate their own Elmer. They can also decorate Elmer using crayons, markers, tissue paper, or construction paper.

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 8, 2010

Better yet: I have smelly dot paints. They're amazing.

20. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

Ooooooh!!! Where did you get those at? I haven't seen them.

21. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 8, 2010

I want dot painters! No fair giving me more things to add to my wishlist!

22. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 8, 2010

I love the idea of painting with watercolors to find their name! That will be an activity one day for me.
    In centers my aid works with the kids on stamping their name. I also write the first letter of their name on Black paper A is for Abby. I trace the A with glue and they put on fruit loops and they get to reat in their cup. They love it.

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 8, 2010

24. TXteacher51

TXteacher51 Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

I am totally getting the dot paints! Great idea, THANKS!!!

25. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 8, 2010

I have the dot paints my student love them

26. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

I like to do a "Hands are for Helping" banner when we talk about rules, and I do cooperation activities like parachute play where the children have to work together to accomplish a common goal--