First week of School - 1st grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SleekTeach, Jun 27, 2014.

1. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

What do y'all do during the first week of school?

I'm new to first grade and my district has a very strict curriculum and I have seen what I'm supposed to be teaching the first week.

Monday: Identifying Quantities 1 to 6
    Tuesday: Identifying Quantities 1 to 10
    Wednesday: Writing Numerals 0 to 9
    Thursday: Matching Representations of 1 to 10
    Friday: Recognizing Quantities by Sight

So basically, it looks like I am doing a review of Kindergarten.

I haven't received the Science stuff yet so I'm not sure what to do for that yet.

Should I stick strictly to things or should I probably do two of these lessons a day and start week two on Thursday?

I do know that in Texas at least, first grade is the year that all students are required to be in school, so I could possibly be getting some first time students who really don't know any of this stuff.

I just feel like it may be difficult to expand these "lessons."

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

My principal gets pissy if any teachers do much in the way of curriculum during the first week. Especially if you're getting kiddos that are new to school, I think it's much more important that you work on getting them acclimated to the classroom, first.

4. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

I am also teaching Math and Science this year.
    Before you can do the lesson, think about these things:
    Where do you want them to sit? (In desks? On the floor? If on the floor, in rows or in a circle?)
    How do you want them to handle the materials?
    How do you want them to get the materials?
    How do you want them to return the materials?
    How do they enter the room?
    How do they exit the room?
    How do they indicate that they want to answer a question?go to the bathroom? need a pencil?

In other words, before you teach any content, teach procedures, and review them daily.
    Use your lesson to have the children practice how to use materials the way YOU want them to do so. Save some time to practice how to enter and leave the room.

I would do the same for Science.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

I do at least one classroom community building activity each day that first week as well. When I taught 1st last year I think it really helped not only just with their socialization, but they were the best class I ever had when we did work in groups.

You have to remember too that you will probably be doing a lot of assessments.

6. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Thanks, I think i just got all the information I needed!

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2014

I tend to focus on building routines and developing a community. I tend to make the first week simple as far as curriculum goes so that I can focus on teaching the children classroom behavior expectations. What grade did you teach before?

8. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

I taught 2nd last year, but with a completely different curriculum that actually had the team building and procedures built in. This year I was just worried about finding time to do that and still do the lessons I am supposed to do. My favorite bit of advice I have recieved so far is to use these first simple lessons to practice classroom procedures.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 29, 2014

I definitely taught lessons (review lessons, though) during the first week of school.

I ascertained to explicitly teach my expectations, though (even something as simple as pushing in your chair when you get up from your seat). I'd model, we'd practice (we would sometimes have a bit of fun by practicing the wrong way), and I'd reward the students for putting my rules/procedures into practice.

I felt like a broken record during the first two weeks of school, but it paid off in the long run.