First Week Blues

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by 1stGradeRocks, Aug 12, 2011.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

This past week was our first week. Someone please remind me how rough the first week is. This is my 6th year so I should know, but I think I must block it out or something each year. :lol: I had a REALLY rough year last year, and I was so optimistic and excited about a new year. Now I'm already feeling discouraged and like a failure. Someone tell me it will get better. :(

3. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

I have been a teacher for 18 years and every year I forget how young they are when we start school. Remember they are really pre-schoolers not Kindergartens. I don't really start enjoying teaching K until around Halloween. I have taught 1,2 and 5 and I feel this way every year. I think it is pretty normal.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2011

I think it's like labor pains. . .you always forget how tough the beginning of the year is!

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

I agree. After Halloween I really start to enjoy them.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2011

I have decided that all K teachers have amnesia because we would never come back if we remembered the first week when we can't even tell them to line up at the corner because they don't know what a line or a corner are! It gets better, keep practicing routines and take bubble baths ;)

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

I completely agree that it is like labor pains...I, too forget how hard those first few weeks are. Because the rest of the year is so rewarding. I hope things go more smoothly next week. :hugs"

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

just think in the next few weeks all of us will be in the position you are in now....you will be past the worst of it....

9. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 13, 2011

Yep, the first week is really tough. My district started public PreK a few years back and that has helped tremendously because at least some of the kids already know how to ride buses, eat in the cafeteria, make a line etc.. but it is still rough.

Even after 15 years , I never really realize how much I accomplish in a year until I get a new group. Then I see how far the kids really came last year. I always have my kids make a class book during the last week of school about what they learned in kindergarten. I keep it close to my desk in September. Then, when I am ready to pull my hair out with the new class I can look through the pages and see how they improved. I love reading their multiple sentences that they wrote themselves! Their printing and drawings look so nice. It shows me that things will get better. They have to!!!

10. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 13, 2011

We don't start until the Tuesday after Labor Day here. I'm trying to envision what kind of class I'll have this year. Last year was very rough for me also and I can't imagine another one like that one this year! I can only hope that it prepared me for whatever might be ahead.

I find the biggest problem is the chasm between kids of the same age. Some could probably go on to first grade and just skip kindergarten, whereas others should go back to pre-K! I had two kids in my class last year who had just turned 5 in August and were very mature and well-prepared. I also had three students who were turning 5 in September who could not even write their name, count, etc.

I agree, take lots of bubble baths.