First week activities

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by brandi0718, Jun 12, 2008.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

What kind of activities do you have planned for the first week of school?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

My school starts on January 3rd and the grading period is over on the 13th. Also that's when my contract is up :( although my position is likely (hopefully) continue on.

I teach Literacy (an elective class) and I have a lot of freedom in choosing standards, grade level, anything. I have students between 10-12 grade, even some who have passed the GED. I can choose any 9-12 grade literature text book, grammar book, etc.

We have only done 1 major writing assignment, (I've only been there since Oct 17) so I thought this would be great now. Because it's a new year, and a lot of people choose this time to set goals, I thought it would be appropriate to have the students write an essay "One year goal".

I want to get back to the routine I set up (and strayed from in December): warm up (grammar), vocab, actual lesson / practice, journal. Each activity 5-10 minutes, with the lesson part no more than 20. This worked out great, fast paced classes, they didn't have time to be bored. This will stretch out the activities, without being rushed. Wednesday is a half day, so we only have 35 minutes classes and Fridays they get their 20 minute p.a.t, so we only have about 40 min. left. On Wednesday I will show them the national news (they have no access to tv, newspaper, etc. They are not allowed to watch local news, but national news will be great).

Originally I wanted to do 2 essays, 1 year goals and 5 year goals, but it would be too rushed. This way, with just 1 essay I can have all the components: brainstorming, outline, rough draft, revision, editing, peer edit, final draft, and I will also have them write a letter to themselves, as if it was 1 year from now.
    We will use laptops for the rough draft / final draft - up until now we have not done that, so this will be new :)

I already have most of this planned out in my head, so I feel prepared for going back to school. It will take a couple of hours to come up with vocab / warm up activities, and the journal writing and done :)

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

I just noticed this is in the 1st grade forum sorry about that! Should I delete it?

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2011

We do a New year's resolution writing piece. I usually let them pick any kind of resolution, but this year I will tie it in with academic goals.

And we review routines and procedures the first week like it's the first week of school.

Other than that, we just carry on with our normal routine. It's crunch time! Here's to hoping all their little light bulbs clicked over the break and they're much more mature when we get back. lol.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

New years goal setting and 'toast' with sparkling lemonade, party poppers

New units in reading

Editing and publishing 5 senses writing

Complete telling time unit in math

Food chains in science

A mini study of snow...making borax snowflakes.

7. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jan 11, 2012

Lynn,

Does your district do "I Can" statements for all lessons as well? Would you be willing to share them? That's something our district is really pushing for as well, and so I am spending a lot of extra time getting all mine ready. :dizzy: I'd also love to see more of your station ideas as well! I don't currently do literacy centers, but I am very interested in setting up some kind of center or station time during our literacy block.

Thanks!