First Wave of Hiring Over?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eternalsunshine, Jun 26, 2014.

1. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 26, 2014

Since most schools are on summer break now, would it be accurate to say that the first hiring wave is over? Will the next wave likely be in August when schools start up and principals come back to find that there have been last minute resignations?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 26, 2014

Keep an eye on your state's Department of Education job bank. Mine has become swollen with postings.

4. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 26, 2014

Here in California most jobs are posted on EdJoin. And it was pretty full last month but lately the postings have slowed down. I just went to the state's Department of Education website to double check and they did say that all jobs go through Edjoin. Phooey! :blush: Thank you for the tip though! :):thanks:

5. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

It has slowed way down here. Generally speaking, the principals like to take July off. They like to have all their known openings filled by now.

When they come back end of July/beginning of August, they'll start to deal with the last minute resignations and shufflers. Plus, enrollment can look a lot different in August than it did in May. That all needs to be addressed.

I was told last year that a great deal of hiring takes place in the last 2-3 weeks before school starts.
    Sheilah

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 26, 2014

We have more openings than applicants right now.

7. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

Here in Maine it's been dead for about three weeks. I had one friend hired a week AFTER school started the year we graduated.

8. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jun 27, 2014

More information about the timeline please; I am freaking out trying to break into some state's market.

9. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 27, 2014

I know here in Georgia the first wave is over but the state is passing a budget item to allow schools to have more funding to reduce class sizes. Many districts have not started that hiring phases yet so I feel like there will be more jobs coming soon here.

10. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Things are still being posted in MA

11. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jun 27, 2014

When a posting ends; then do they look at people or when a posting ends and you haven't heard anything, is it over?

I have gotten no bites, 1 false interview, and that is it. I have no idea what to do. Should I send out massive mailing of my resume to every principal in 3 states?

12. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

what do you mean a false interview?

I think typically when a job posting has a deadline, they look at people and start interviewing after the deadline. When it is "posted until filled" I guess they could call you anytime.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2014

The hard part is that everyone does it differently. I've received calls (and interviewed!) before the posting was scheduled to end. I've also received calls months later.

14. mohistoryguy

mohistoryguy Rookie

Jun 27, 2014

With the exception of the false interview, I'm in that same boat.

I know it's just how things go, but it's hard to keep your hopes up when you hear absolutely nothing back for months. That silence doesn't help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, what I might need to fix, etc etc.

I've noticed the advice to "cold e-mail" principals resumes. Is it just a resume/cover letter or what all should be sent in one of these e-mails? I'm desperate to do anything to help my prospects.

15. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 27, 2014

I'm sure there are different opinions on this, but personally, I think it's too early to be sending out blind emails. The way I looked at it was I was hoping to get a principal's attention very close to when someone resigned at the last minute. They aren't going to go back to six week old emails, for all they know, that person already has a job. They want to hire someone quickly, so they want to deal with candidates they know are available. My advice, and how I got a job doing this, is to email two to three weeks before school starts.

16. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 30, 2014

teacherintexas - I wish I lived in Texas!

I am about to start snail mailing my resume, cover letter, and letters of rec out to schools I want to get into. I spoke with an old high school teacher of mine and he kept telling me that a lot of hiring happens last minute when teachers decide not to come back. Would it be crazy to start mailing out hard copies of my resume packet? I know it would be expensive, but at this point I'm willing to do anything!! And I figure this way once principals come back from summer vacay and find out about all the last minute hiring they have to do they will already have my resume on hand.

17. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 30, 2014

Eternalsunshine,

I think that's a great idea, and that way you can follow up with an email a week or two before school starts, letting them know you are still available. (Assuming you are, of course.)

How many schools are you thinking about?

18. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jul 1, 2014

mathteachertobe - I'm thinking as many as I can afford to pay copies, an envelope, and postage for. :blush: This job search is a doozy. I knew it would be hard. I didn't not think it would be this hard...