First to Fifth!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by hzminda, Apr 30, 2014.

1. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Apr 30, 2014

Hello my AtoZ pals :)

So, I have been teaching 1st for the past two years now and I am taking a giant leap into 5th starting next year :eek:

I am excited for all of the possibilities with this new age group and independence, but also a little anxious as to what to expect. I will be teaching high performing students and want to be able to challenge my kiddos. Any great writing, reading, math, science, or social studies ideas? Please let me know! :help:

This summer I plan on coming up with some lesson plan ideas BEFORE school starts, so I will be back on this form weekly to check in for more ideas ;)

M.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2014

What a wonderful age group to teach! I'll start looking through my resources and see what I can find to help you.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 30, 2014

5th grade is my favorite! It will be a big change from first, but I'm sure you'll love it!

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 30, 2014

hzminda, we are twins! I've been teaching 1st for the past two years as well, and will be teaching 5th next year (at a new school and in a new area of my state). Since you're asking about all subject areas, I assume you are teaching self-contained as well? Are you teaching gifted?

Personally, I am INCREDIBLY excited. I really thought I would be in primary forever. Then I got this job and I suddenly realized how much I want to try this. I observed in a friend's fifth grade class over my spring break, and I became so excited. They can do SO MUCH!!

I will be following your journey with interest, since we are in such a similar place! :)

6. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

May 1, 2014

Awesome! We should stay in touch to give each other ideas :D Yes, I am going to be teaching all subject areas with half of my class as G&T and the other half "high-performing". I am very excited about working with this age gorup, since they are a lot more independent compared to my little ones now :haha:

I have already started writing down ideas for lesson plans and writing prompts. What state are you teaching in?

M.

7. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

May 1, 2014

Thank you!!! I have also been talking with the 5th grade team at my school, but I just love to seek out advice from all areas :)

M.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 3, 2014

I am excited about the independence, too!

I'm in CA. I'll be in northern CA next year - it's about a 400 mile move from where I am now in southern CA.

I've started reading - kids' books and teaching books like The Book Whisperer (LOVE!) - and checking out fifth grade teacher blogs. I've also pinned a lot on Pinterest. :) And I'm starting my library! Scholastic has several $1 chapter books. I am LOVING shopping for chapter books and the prospect of teaching these books!

9. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

May 3, 2014

You are ahead of the game! I have been trying to compile a list of books I would like my students read (either in literature circles or read alouds). What is your pintrest name? I am doing the same thing, I have been looking for blogs and ideas on pintrest for the classroom. Have you bought any chapter books yet? Is so, which ones?

M.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 3, 2014

I PM'd you. My Pinterest account is linked to my Facebook, so it's under my real name and I didn't want to post it here. :)

11. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

May 7, 2014

Hello,

I came across your post when I was about to ask a question of my own. I am a fifth grade teacher. I vividly remember how frustrated I was to be the only person teaching fifth grade. I had no one to offer any suggestions or help when I was not sure about something. I could not fit everything into a forum post and I have placed it onto a viewable Google Doc instead. You can find some helpful suggestions at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PF_bpUQ-FN3MxQSFA_ysDjIYdUAmSUBlW2ggNLXqbi4/edit?usp=sharing

12. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

May 12, 2014

Wow! Thank you so much Sunfishy :D

M.