First to Fifth in January?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by txteach26, Dec 4, 2010.

1. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Dec 4, 2010

I taught First grade for five years. I may be starting a Fifth grade position in January. I'm excited, but pretty nervous about relating to older kids. Any advice?

Also, what are your favorite websites/resources?

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2010

Know that they can do a lot on their own! I always have a message for them at the beginning of the day with something for them to work on: journal, writing task, reading, math practice, science experiment, etc.

They respond to many of the same strategies as first graders, but want to be understand. Give them choices, but still be firm and consistent. Listen to them and complement them. They truly will respect you if you respect them.

4. tchrmommy1

tchrmommy1 Rookie

Dec 12, 2010

I made the move from first to fifth last year and LOVE it!

One website that has helped me SO much is Laura Candler's (just type in her full name dot com). She has a million awesome ideas and tons of free stuff. Be sure to sign up for her newsletter, too. Check out the file cabinet and all of the great activities. You will really enjoy it!

5. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Dec 13, 2010

I went from 2nd grade to 5th grade five years ago, and for the most part it has been great. Remember, 5th graders can do more things independently than 1st graders. I would do a google search for 5th grade websites as there are a lot of good ones out there.

6. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

I made the jump from 2nd to 5th grade this year, after teaching 2nd grade for 5yrs. I LOVE 5th graders! They have a great sense of humor and can work so independently.

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 29, 2010

5th grade is great! A few things I have learned along the way are that they are still kids..they are at that awkward age when they aren't quite teens, and many of them are still concrete learners. Differentiate! I also provide as much cooperative learning as I can, to provide that social interaction they crave. I try hard not to be sarcastic, as many do not really understand my message that way! I am straightforward in as gentle of a way as possible! Love and respect them, and they will not disappoint you.
    Laura Candler's website is outstanding! I also use this website often-just reading the posts in the 5th grade forum, as well as others, give me countless ideas. :)

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 29, 2010

knitter63 is exactly right...5th graders are still kids. They're able to be independent, but they still love all the things that the little kids love like stickers, fancy pencils, etc. Their teacher is still very important to them. Give them opportunities to talk and work with each other on both long and short term activities. Whenever possible, give them choices about what they would like to do and how they would like to do it.

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 30, 2010

As others have said, they can be independent but are still kids.

10. cateste

cateste Companion

Jan 1, 2011

good move

You will have some troubles when the hormones start kicking in later on, but it is worth it. While you are transitioning, I have a new teacher at my site who loves the advisor site below because it shows what a well functioning classroom may look like and some of the ideas that have/haven't worked for the advisors at different levels. Loads of pics, ideas, weekly blog, etc.

http://teacher.scholastic.com/teachingstrategies

11. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Jan 2, 2011

Are you in Houston?

12. tnv

tnv Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

I made a similar jump this year, but not in the middle of the year. Yikes! I agree with the other posters that the students can do a lot more by themselves, but remember, they are still kids, no matter how cool they try to act, and they like the little things: games, interaction, movement, etc....I use a bunch of games and ideas from the Positive Engagement Project. They have some fun math games, management tools, and homework ideas.

The biggest thing I've learned from my move is, like any grade, if you give respect, they'll give it back. I'm big on the positive approach and it's been a really fun year. Good luck!

TNV