First to Fifth...back to First

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SassyTeach, Apr 18, 2012.

1. SassyTeach

SassyTeach Rookie

Apr 18, 2012

So the First five years of my career were spent in First Grade - and I loved it. Then I was told they needed me in Fifth, and I was terrified - but I've grown to love it. Now, my P tells me she needs me back in First because of staff changes...and I'm kind of bummed.

I know there have to be a few of you that have been reassigned before. How did you wrap your head around it if you weren't excited at first? There's a part of me that still misses First, but it's so exhausting (plus I'll be lead for a new teacher)!

Any encouragement/motivation would be great!

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

Sorry, that has not happened, but I am just curious: would you say first is more exhausting than fifth? I am super exhausted at the end of the day and have often wondered if the older grades are just as tiring.

4. SassyTeach

SassyTeach Rookie

Apr 18, 2012

Not saying that Fifth isn't tiresome - but I only teach Math & Science, so the prep is easier. Plus, Fifth Graders know the school routine and are pretty independent. First Graders are so sweet - but very needy! They can be independent later in the year - just takes a lot more prep time and in-class training/modeling!

In my case - Fifth has been less exhausting than First was... though I'm sure others would disagree! ;)

5. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 18, 2012

I would definitely prefer 5th.... but if you don't have a choice.... you will have to learn to love 1st grade again. You will start to love that grade again i am sure.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

Sassy... I was going to say I remember subbing in the different grade levels... I think each grade level is can make a person tired in different ways. I think lower it's more of the "help me with" and the olders I think it more of the peace maker (just because of the stage of life they are in).

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

Ok, I was just curious. Yes, my students are very independent. I do a modified version of the Daily 5 with them and that has been so helpful in creating independent learners.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 20, 2012

After a five-year-long stint in 2nd grade (I spent my first year teaching 1st grade), I moved up to middle school this year. I really, really like it. I think it'd be difficult (at first) to move back to 2nd grade, but I know I'd be just fine. There's always the adjustment period--then you'll get settled in and get back into the swing of things.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2012

:hugs: sassy! I have moved many times in my 9 years of teaching...in fact, my 9 years have gone like this: k, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 1st/BSI, 3rd inclusion, 2nd...

Moving to 1st was by choice (but only last 1 marking period...long story) and the first time of going to 2nd was by choice because it was a new job. Everything else was told to me. Granted my moves haven't been as drastic as yours, but its a lot of them. Pretty much what I've told myself is this: I have a job so be thankful. I will find something I love about each grade I teach and it will help me to be a better teacher.

Like YoungTeacherGuy said, there will be an adjustment period, but you'll be fine. Just review some of the things you used to do in 1st and jump back into it. Good luck!!!