First timer doing Daily 5 (short ?)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clynns, Jul 7, 2010.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Jul 7, 2010

I'm reading The Daily 5 and getting ready to try it out this upcoming school year. The first thing you teach is "read to self" and then "read to someone else". Do you introduced "read to someone else" the same time you teach "read to self" or do you wait until it's mastered? I hope I'm making sense. I guess I'm saying do you teach the students all 5 parts at once or one at a time until it's mastered. thanks!

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 7, 2010

I teach them at different times... in fact, I don't think I really waited long enough... read to someone involves some additional procedures... EEKK position, Coach or Wait? Check for Understanding, etc.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2010

I always begin with Read to Self and we practice building our stamina for a bit and really honing the skills of what it looks like and sounds like to be an independent reader. I would say 2 or so weeks. Then I begin to teach read to someone.

5. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jul 8, 2010

I want to piggyback this question. I am reading the book too. I'm confused about time frame also. Essentially you want to work up stamina for long blocks of time that involve different activities. So what are you doing in the time blocks the first 2 weeks when all you are doing is read to self for 3 minutes at a time (or a little longer)? How are you filling 2 hours of time with that in the first weeks?

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

I do Read to Self first for the first week or two. We make our I chart, then practice building stamina. If we only make it 3 minutes the first time, we meet really quickly on the carpet, talk about what we saw, then head back to read to self again, hoping for more than 3 minutes. So within a 30 minute period, we may meet 4 or 5 times that first day to discuss how we're doing. So, HeatherY, I may spend some time those first few days talking about other reading topics as well - picking books, how to use the furniture, book talks, how to use the library, a few extra read alouds, etc. As long as I'm doing something literacy related, I'll stick it in that first 2 hours. I also tend to save Read to Someone for last. They REALLY love that one, so I kind of make them earn it. :)

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2010

HeatherY,Definitely check out the end of the book where it shows you how to roll everything out. The first few weeks, you are right, will not fill 2 hours. I typically do Read to Self with stamina challenge, shared reading, phonics (letter review etc)., writing and etc.
    It will work though and once it's up and running 2 hours will be easily doable. :)

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2010

p.s. Also check out the book Daily Cafe. That is something I also use!!!!!!

9. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 8, 2010

Is this stuff relevant to high school?

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2010

Unbeknownst- it's a structure for Reading Workshop but I am not sure it would be relevant to high school... nope. :)

11. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 8, 2010

K. Just wondering; thanks!

12. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

I ordered this book, and just waiting to get it in the mail so I can start reading it! I really hope it helps me with reading this year!

For those of you that are already using this, does this work well with your reading series?

13. monsieurteacher

Jul 8, 2010

I don't have a reading series, but it works well in my class.

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2010

15. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Yes, I find it fits easily with our reading series.
    I introduce the Daily 5 stations over the course of 4 weeks with the exception of work on writing(we are not allowed to write during reading block!). So we start with read to self, practice that a few days and then I slowly add the other daily 5, so about 1 new station per week.
    The first 4 weeks I also have plently of filler work including reviewing all the letters and sounds, kinder HFWs, handwriting review, and lots of read alouds. So all that review fills my reading block. I also use some of that time to just practice rules and procedures.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to be working this summer on adapting some of the Daily 5 and CAFE principles to use with my Grade 7/8 class; I'll let you know how it goes.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2010

Thanks for the complement, trayums!

HeatherY, I am also trying to implement the workshop approach to my classroom, all while utilizing my required basal series, lol. This will be my 3rd year teaching first grade, and my first with workshops, so we'll see.... If I weren't so broke, I'd order the CAFE book today, but I'll have to wait until payday. Hmmmmm Oh, and you might want to look for Kathy Collins book, Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom.

18. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

Not to hijack or anything, but I would love to see someone's example of a schedule that includes Daily5, CAFE, and guided reading groups. =) Because it hurts my brain to think about!

19. monsieurteacher

Jul 8, 2010

MrsHoot, I used CAFE as my guided reading groups...

So this is what my schedule looked like last year:

8:30 - 8:40 - Focus Lesson 1
    8:40 - 9:00 - Rotation 1 - Meeting one-on-one or with strategy groups (CAFE)
    9:00 - 9:10 - Focus Lesson 2
    9:10 - 9:30 - Rotation 2 - Meeting one-on-one or with strategy groups (CAFE)
    9:30 - 9:40 - Focus Lesson 3
    9:40 - 10:05 - Rotation 3 - Meeting one-on-one or with strategy groups (CAFE)

20. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 26, 2010

I am currently reading Daily 5 and thinking about incorporating it into my classroom this year. I was wondering where you could purchase 25 book boxes for the class cheap?

Thanks,
    jenglish

21. meltua

meltua Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

You can use cereal boxes, but I'm not sure they'd last all year. This year I'm using bags ordered from really good stuff. They are see through on one side and have a velcro closure and a handle on top. The handle fits perfectly on the back of my kids chairs. I was very fortunate that my school purchased these for our grade level!

22. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 26, 2010

I use gallon ziplock bags. We have a talk about safety the first time we use them, and I haven't had any problems. I don't have a lot of storage in my classroom, so book boxes don't work for me. The Bags fit in their desks.

23. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Aug 26, 2010

IKEA has 5 for $1.99. I tape the bottoms to help hold them together.

24. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Aug 26, 2010

I don't have room for book boxes, so I bought colorful tote bags from Oriental Trading. I hang them from the backpack hooks in the back of my room. The kids just keep their backpacks on their chairs instead. Works well!

25. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 27, 2010

I like the idea of the colorful tote bags. I think I might use those instead. Thanks!