First time writing sub plans

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mr.G, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Mr.G

Mr.G Rookie

Jan 22, 2006

Ok, this is my 2nd year teaching, and for the 1st time I have to write sub plans. (Though it must be noted that I will be on a week long school trip, so still haven't taken any time off).

My question is: in sub plans: should I put a list of kids that I know will be useful for the sub?

Should I put a list of kids for the sub to watch out for?

Or should I not list any kids, thus giving all kids a "fresh start" with a new person for the week?

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 22, 2006

ABSOLUTELY give your substitute teacher a "heads up" on who the helpful ones are and who to watch out for!

ANY valuable information will be appreciated by your substitute teacher!!!

4. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jan 22, 2006

The more detailed your sub plans, the better the time will be for the sub. Make sure you have your procedures written out for him/her. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is when the sub doesn't know what the simplest procedures are such as signing up for lunch and going to the bathroom. The sub can get 10 different responses if they ask the kids. I agree that you need to tell them who the helpful kids are and who to watch out for.

5. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jan 22, 2006

I have been a teacher and I have also been a sub. The best thing is to leave a seating chart and make marks on the students that are the most difficult and mark the students that are helpful. Bribe your students that if you get a great report their in for a special treat.

6. Mr.G

Mr.G Rookie

Jan 22, 2006

I've already begun the bribing, though I wish I didn't have to. The penalty is also pretty severe. In the end I think my kids won't cause trouble. Though I have come to realize that they work for me, but if I step out of the room, they stop working.

I guess I should be proud of that fact?

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 22, 2006

At least it's a step in the right direction.

Be sure to let the substitute teacher know about the penalty and bribe so that s/he can remind the students if they start to get out of control.

8. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jan 22, 2006

No, they should work for anyone. The 6th grade classes that I have subbed for know the routine. They should be able to come in and be ready for anyone. You might want to request a sub who has some experience. The teachers always ask for me, as I was a teacher then I had to resign for personal reasons. Now, I'm ready to get back in the classroom.

9. Mr.G

Mr.G Rookie

Jan 22, 2006

I know some teachers who write notes to their kids each day and have the sub read it at the start of the period. Is this a good thought, or does it take too much of the subs power out of their hands?

It's funny: my 6th graders will do whatever I ask of them and I feel 100% safe being away from them. . . its the 7th grade beast I'm worried about (granted it's an inclusion class)

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 22, 2006

I don't recall ever having a teacher leave a note for me to read to the students. I think that you can skip that. It will have more impact if you have a talk with your class the day before you are out and make your expectations clear to them.

11. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jan 22, 2006

As a certified teacher, and a sub for 3 plus years, here's what I like to see:
    1]Most definitely include a seating chart, 2] An alphabetical list of each class your teach if you teach more than just your homeroom, 3]your list of rules, 4]how you discipline .5]who's helpful, who tends to "act out", 5b]and who has a BIP(behavior Improvement Plan) those are the kids who cannot be discipline in the normal way, their IEP requires set ways, and if its not followed it can cause major problems for you and the unsuspecting sub! That is if you have it in your school.
    6]Include who to contact if the need arises to collect money. Most schools do not allow subs to fill out the receipt book. 7]Alert your team leader to look in on the sub, and make sure every thing is ok.
    8]Tell the sub where and when they can have lunch,( it's always nice to have a grade level person invite them to eat with the teachers if possible.9] Let them know if there are any duties that they need to do in your stead such as lunch duty... 10]who and how to get help when needed, 11]which classroom they can send an out of control kid to (someone on your team that tends to be really really strict!!) ;) 12]Do offer the students an incentive to behave for the sub, it will make it alot easier on the sub and the kids.
    13]Tell your sub who has allergies, specialneeds or meds to take, any students who have resource/gifted classes, 14]who can and how many can go into the bathrooms, library or out of the classroom and at what times. 15]Do you have a set number of hall passes per semester? Make sure you have it in writing. 16]Try to choose 1/2 students that can be attendance helpers/messagers for the week. Review their job duties with them. Tell the sub what those requirements are.
    17]Let the sub know where and how you want your classwork/homework/tests stacked and where. ( I usually put them in ABC order, then by class period and by date, clip them and put them in folders per period or by day. Sometimes I will grade papers if given an idea of how the teacher wants it done. I mark them with how many missed over the total number of questions, when in doubt.
    There are a multitude of forms that you can have them fill out that can be found on this site or at www. inspiringteachers.com, www.teachernet.com, and theres one that starts with abcteachers, but I am not sure wheither that is .net or .com... :confused:
    Hope this helps