First time teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FlowerBug, Oct 27, 2015.

1. FlowerBug

FlowerBug New Member

Oct 27, 2015

Hello, My first teaching job starts this upcoming Monday. School has been in session since August. What should I expect on my first day? The class has only had substitute teachers and the principal has said that the class is rowdy. I will be teaching 7th and 8th grade science. I don't know what questions to ask or where to start? Please help.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 27, 2015

The first thing I'd do with the class is set my expectations. The principal says the class is "rowdy" but what exactly does that mean? One or two pot-stirrers? They are in need of consistency (most probably)? The whole class is out of control? Get more details about this. Again, with the kids I would start by introducing myself and setting expectations. Keep your rules small in number and very general. For example: It's never OK to be hurtful. It's never OK to be disruptive. My BIG 5 are 1) Follow directions quickly (under 3 seconds). 2) Raise your hand for permission to speak. 3) Get permission to leave the room (or your seat if you need to start really tight). 4) Make smart choices. 5) Make your teacher proud of you. These last two cover just about everything you can think of. I will also tell you it is much easier to start very strict and loosen up as the kids show they can handle things than the reverse. Be ready for the kids to test you because they will. Just stand your ground and close all loopholes they may try to jump through.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 28, 2015

I agree with starting with expectations. I would introduce yourself.
    Review your classroom rules, and what consequences you have if the rules are broken.
    I would make the promise to them that you will uphold a consequence every time a rule is broken. When you make that promise to them, it makes it more likely that you will keep it.

Maybe do an activity like a survey so that they can tell you about themselves.

Then begin with the material. It's already late in the year, and you can assume their understanding of the concepts they need to know by now is lacking. It's best to start teaching the curriculum.

Also yes, you should expect them to test your rules and test you as a teacher. They will first regard you as a substitute and treat you like one, until you prove them otherwise. If you get flustered, angry, or lose your cool, they win. Be as zen as possible. Breathe and take breaks when you need to.

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 28, 2015

I agree with starting out firm. Be very consistent. These kids will test you! Have clear rules and consequences and be ready to carry them out.

I also agree with Peregrin - I'd start with curriculum immediately. Start small, though. If it were me, I'd do book work or worksheets for at least a few days while you're all getting used to each other.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 28, 2015

Definitely. Also OP, try to keep them as busy as possible. Have lots of work planned, and extra work planned. Get acquainted with your textbook and teacher edition. The busier they are, the less time they have to test you.

7. hermosaa1444

hermosaa1444 Guest

Oct 28, 2015

hi,
    First time teching we have organized the site by questions you might already be asking. Each question links to our recommendations for the topic and further resources, handpicked by our staff to introduce you to our favorite teaching strategies.

http://www.contenthoop.com/magnetic-science-fun/8187/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  8. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Oct 30, 2015

I was once in a similar situation, and procedures/routine was the most important thing. You will have to be very strict in order to reign in the behaviors, and plan your day so that you have extra work and activities so that you never have students sitting at their desk with nothing to do (this is when trouble begins). Always be prepared!

Have your behavior management system figured out, practice your stern face/voice, and be prepared to follow through with any threats that you make as far as contacting parents, taking away privileges, etc.

Also make sure that you provide some "controlled positivity." By that, I mean building a positive relationship with your students as a whole and individually, but not to the point that it keeps you from managing behavior. You can also provide whole class rewards for good behavior, like a fun activity or choosing where to sit. If you do this, make sure they earn it, and relinquish your control slowly.

Best of luck! :)

9. FlowerBug

FlowerBug New Member

Nov 2, 2015

Thank you for all the advice!!! I am taking it all to heart! I'll let everyone know how it goes.