First Time Teaching Calculus

Discussion in 'High School' started by atomic, Jun 16, 2010.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 16, 2010

I've told that it is very possible that I will be teaching Calculus next year.

I'm excited and nervous about the idea. I have never taught anything above Precalc and that was years ago. I won't see these students until second semester next year.

I really need to start prepping now. I'm going to start by going through my Calc book from college and get a copy of the text they use at the HS.

What other resources should I start looking into? Online stuff? Supplemental Stuff?

I was considering picking up an AP Calc study guide from the book store.

I hope I'm ready for this. I've only taught HSPA(NJ graduation test) failures for most of my 10 years.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2010

What fun!!! I haven't taught Calc since 2000, but loved the course!!

I think the first thing I would get is a copy of the current Precalc syllabus, so you have a good idea of what they know going in. See what work they've done on functions, on continuity, and so on.

It's not AP, right? More like "Intro to Calc"???

My resources are buried around the house somewhere. But if a question does come up, I'll try to find them somewhere.

4. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 16, 2010

I'm not sure if its AP or not. I don't think its AP, but then again I was told the reason for the switch was that all our AP scores were low(1's) and they wanted to try another teacher in the subject.

Maybe its Intro this year and AP next?

I'm sure to have a lot of questions.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2010

I can't imagine getting an AP course taught between January and the exam in early May.

6. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Jun 16, 2010

You could cover topics toward CLEP Calculus during the semester and point them toward a few good websites so that the motivated ones can study and have a chance to pass it over the summer. They would be able to get college credit for it just as if they'd passed AP Calc but without having to do so on a one-semester schedule. The AP study guide couldn't hurt though, for the topics you do get to; I don't think there's such a thing as too much possible practice in calculus.

7. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 17, 2010

Its not AP...yet...

I need to take the AP teachers test for Calculus first. Has anyone taken this. I'll be hunting for some info today.

It's been a long time since a supervisor has taken interest in my professional growth. I'm really excited about teaching this course. Hopefully the schedule won't change.