First time sub

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Jen07, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Jen07

Jen07 Rookie

Feb 28, 2007

Tomorrow is my first day subbing, I am looking for advice and appreciate any and all given!! I'm very excited and nervous, since I'm majoring in Elementary education it's going to be a great experience and I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes well. I'm looking for tips on what if anything I should take, if there's anything I should do-such as set up some type of reward/punishment system or anything else? I would also like advice on what I should expect. By the way it's a second grade class.

Look forward to your responses! Wish me luck!

3. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Feb 28, 2007

Good luck!

4. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Feb 28, 2007

First off, have fun! Second graders are sweet and fun most of the time.
    -They still like to stick to their routines so try to stick to the one the teacher has established as much as possible. That goes for the rewards/punishments too. The teacher will have a system with which the students are familiar. If I know in advance what grade level I'm subbing and it's the younger set I'll bring stickers or those water based tattooes as a "prize" at the end of the day if the class stays on task.

-Familiarize yourself with the thread on teachers favorite games. Even though you follow the teachers plan you may find yourself with a few extra minutes when the lesson is complete but you will be leaving for something else(specials, lunch, recess) too soon to get into anything else. Sparkle for spelling words is good(unless the lists are differentiated) or have them answer an addition/subtraction question to see who lines up first. Heads Up/Seven Up is also fun.

-Introduce yourself to any other nearby teachers. It's always good to have an ally and they may give you advice or offer help in sticky situations.

-what to bring: patience, a good attitude, some sterness, and from personal experience a safety pin. Nothing worse than having a button pop off in the worst place and realizing the school must be the only one without safety pins. :eek: A snack; if they have snack time you may need the energy boost too. You may want to look into creating a sub pack if you will do this often. Some teachers may deny you access to areas where they keep supplies. Usually those are the days when you will need tape, staples, post-it notes, etc.

5. liz07

liz07 Rookie

Mar 1, 2007

Goodluck, No advice I'm new to it too :) But have a great time and let us know how it goes

6. ryman

ryman Rookie

Mar 2, 2007

Jen07,

How did it go?

7. Jen07

Jen07 Rookie

Mar 2, 2007

I had a great time!! All of the students gave me a friendly welcome and there were a few students who were very helpful, either by telling me what the regular teacher usually allows and doesn't allow, or by being on task and doing what they were supposed to be doing. I had two students that were just my buddies all day, they wanted to walk by me when we went somewhere and wanted to include me at recess. The teacher did a great job at leaving very detailed instructions and noted that it was fine if we didn't get through all of the assignments but fortunately we were able to make it through everything. I didn't have many problems, the only ones I did have were getting some of the students to pay attention and keep quiet during social studdies and when we lined up and walked down the hallway. I had a few students tell me that their regular teacher and I are the best teachers, I had another group of students ask if I'd be there tomorrow and they acted bummed when I told them I wouldn't, a few other told me they hope I come back and a couple came up to me at the end of the day and told me they liked me-now I just hope the teacher liked me. Being around the students and being able to interact with them gave me even more of a passion to continue persuing my education degree. I did realize that I get attached to children very easily, I have a nephew who's 6 and a 3 year old neice so I guess it's my nature but I found out yesterdaythat I quickly become attached to students and begin to care about them immediately so when I am a teacher it may be hard for me at the end of the year. But I can't wait until I'm in the classroom fulltime! I actually had another subbing assigment today (Friday) it was at a different school for a split 2nd/3rd grade class. I had no problems, everyone was well behaved and quiet and did what they were supposed to. All they did while I was there (Afternoon only) was watch a movie and read, but they were a great group!

I'm sorry this is soo long!

8. Mr. ISB

Mr. ISB Rookie

Mar 2, 2007

Great job!

Congratulations on your sub job. It sounds that everything is going great. Just remember though, sometimes students get slick. They can smell fear. They may be nice to you so they can possibly get into trouble with no consequences later. It's ok to be stern sometimes. Don't worry. All those kids will be back tomorrow. Also, I have learned, they may say nice things about you to your face but tell the original teacher something else. Yes, those little angles know what there doing.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2007

Congratulations on your successful first few days!

10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 2, 2007

You may want to go on a separate threat called Sub Bag. It has some great suggestions for subbing. Also go to your local teacher supply store and get some books on substitute teaching. They will have great advice for you. Substitute Survival Guide by John Sullivan is good. There is a copy for grades k-5 and one for grades6-12. Also if you Google subbing you will find lots of great websites.
    Enjoy your new job. Terry G.