First time job seeker!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tiki421, Jun 27, 2015.

1. tiki421

tiki421 New Member

Jun 27, 2015

I am looking for my first teaching job. I graduated from college two years ago with my degree and I've been private tutoring and substitute teaching since then. Recently I've had a few interviews but I did not end up with the job. I am thankful for the experience that those interviews gave me but I need to know what actually gets you the job? I did not send a thank-you letter to the principals at either of the two schools I interviewed at. I also did not bring a portfolio with sample lessons or student work.
    So here are a few of the questions I have:

1. How important is a thank-you note to the principal? Is it just respectful or is it required?

2. How important is your portfolio? did they look through it at the interview and what are the contents of the portfolio?

3. I am trying to get a job with either Language arts or Social studies. Does my portfolio need to have sample lessons from both subjects? and in a variety of grades? will that make me more marketable?

4. The school district I am applying for does not show opening that are available at particular schools. It just throws your application into a pool that might be named something like Secondary Language Arts and if any school in the district need a LA teacher they just pull from the pool. Has any one had experience being in a pool of candidates? I can't tell where an opening is, so I am just stuck waiting for a phone call or email.

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jun 27, 2015

1. The thank you letter won't help you to gain a job. Like you mentioned it is more about being respectful of their time and the opportunity to meet with them.

2. The portfolio is meant for you to use as a resource. If they ask you a specific question about a lesson, you can show them pictures of your students actively engaged in the lesson or whatever it may be. I always take my portfolio with me. I even include newsletters and things I've sent home to parents. If you google teacher portfolio, you'll be able to see and read about what goes in them. Everyone has a different way of doing it.

3. If those are the subjects you want to teach, then yes I would have sample plans and pictures of your students participating (if applicable). If you have a variety of grade levels where you have taught, I would include those but not everyone will have experience in multiple grades.

4. A lot of the positions I applied for were for candidate pools. For some of them I had phone interviews and proceeded onto the next step of the process. And yes you pretty much are stuck waiting for a phone call or email.

And what gets you the job? If we knew the answer to that everyone would secure a position! We all know the general stuff we should be doing to get hired but who knows what each particular school is looking for. :2cents:

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jun 28, 2015

And what gets you the job? If we knew the answer to that everyone would secure a position! We all know the general stuff we should be doing to get hired but who knows what each particular school is looking for. :2cents

:thumb: Agree..been on the hunt since April.....still hunting...be yourself

Good luck

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 28, 2015

It's a long process, but emphasize something that sets you appart from other candidates. I showed them my journalism, and they immediately perked up because they had recently started an online paper and wanted to include a journalism unit in the English department.
    Good luck, and don't give up :love:

6. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 28, 2015

1. It's not required, but it's a good idea to send one. It will not guarantee you a job, but it will make you stand out and look interested in the position.

2. Not all the time will principals/hiring teams ask for a portfolio, but it's good to have. Sometimes they don't even have the time to look at a portfolio, other times they would want to look. If there's a question they ask you and you want to show something specific that will enhance your answer, go for it (I'd ask first incase there's a time crunch!)

3. I'd put all of them, but just show the part that highlights language arts or social studies (depending on what you applied for). Just don't put too much!

4. Not sure, I just sent my resumes via snail mail/e-mail/walk-in. I guess it's different in NY. But keep trying! Definitely try to make your resume and cover letter stand out as best as possible :)

Hope this helps, and best of luck!