First Time in a Portable

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher Chele, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

I found out that I will be in a portable this year. I'm excited, but am looking for words of wisdom for life in "portable land."

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2008

Find out if your portable has a decent set of locks. You might want to make sure that you don't leave anything of value inside it overnight or over the weekend because it can get vandalized.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

You know in 5th grade the kids seem to like it. My son was in a portable and I have subbed in them several times. It's not bad. The worst problem we had was keeping a decent temperature in the portable. It seems as though it would be warm and stuffy or cold.

You'll need some good air fresheners and a good a good buddy policy for when the kids need to go in to use the bathroom or whatever. Our portables are a short hike from the main building. Teachers like them since it kept them out of the loop about a lot of drama in the main building.

BTW, ours are the kind with two classrooms in each and we have four, 8 classrooms.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2008

Amen. I wished for a portable MANY times last year! The only problem is my district only uses single-wide trailers. It is really too narrow to work with. My P put 1st grade in them this year, which I think is better because there is less whole group instruction. But, it is bad for a bathroom situation.

Anyway, reasons I would actually like to be in a "learning cottage":
    ~You can staple things to the walls!!! :D
    ~You can be as noisy as you'd like
    ~You are removed from gossiping teachers

6. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I love teaching in my portable! I totally agree with the reasons above! Administration worried about me being in the portable because it was my first year and felt that I would be too isolated, but I love it! I always get confused because people complain about portables, but I guess I'm just weird!:confused: My P even offered to have me switch classrooms so I could be more comfortable, but I think my classroom is comfortable! It's longer and narrower than the other classrooms which most people don't like, but it makes our room seem bigger than the other classrooms for some reason. The only downfall to the portable, in my opinion, is that it is harder to maintain a decent temperature in and it does tend to get stuffy easily, but typically I can easily fix that!

7. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I don't know what kind of weather you get but we get quite a bit of rain at times so I say invest in a good windbreaker and an umbrella.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

I was in one for 2 years when the old school burned. My worst memories were when it rained a lot and we had to go back and forth in the weather. They used large stepping stones instead of a sidewalk (it was just temporary) and the stones would begin to slide after a day. I ended up buying clear rain boots to cover my shoes when we went out. Kids got muddy, I got muddy. You might need a good rug at the front door too for the kids to wipe their feet. I also worried about tornadoes during bad storms. My principal had us evacuate one a.m. when the tornado alarm went off, it was awful, running for cover w/25 kids in the rain. We also had trouble with the breaker being tripped, I learned real quickly how and where it was. Oh.... the memories.

You'll be fine, this was about 10 years ago and I'm sure things have improved a lot.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

LOL true. We got stuck inside after specials b/c of a massive thunderstorm. The kids love to make a mad dash but this was coming down way too hard.

I think the 5th graders get closer being in the portables. The rooms are also fun to decorate. One of our teachers made hers like a little north woods cabin. It was awesome!

oh, I would also suggest you invest in a printer/copier that is in your portable with you so you don't have to print in the building. They might already provide this for you. Also, if you have electronic entry into the main building where you have to pass a badge, you need to get like 3 of them. One for you and you alone, and two for kiddos who need to go in to the building for pull out sessions or bathroom.

10. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

When I was in a portable at my former school, I hardly ever saw any administration. I take that back I never saw them. I taught in that room for 1/2 a year (I took over for a teacher that left). At the end of the year my AP realized that no one ever observed me! You certainly do get left alone in portables!

I didn't mind it so much. I could go to work whenever I wanted without setting off alarms. The bathrooms are a pain. At my old school the kids trashed them. At my new school they are locked so you have to send a pair of kids with a key. I'm in the building now and am resisting going to a portable because of the size. My room is much bigger and has storage. I'm spoiled now. But with the growth around here I expect I only have 1 or 2 years left in the building, if I'm lucky. My P wants to put 3rd -5th outside. He doesn't want K-2 in portables.

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

So your bathrooms are outside too? Ours are in the main building used by the classes in the wing closest to our portables

12. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

All the doors to the main building are locked for security reasons. You cannot go in and out of the building without a key. There is a bathroom trailer that has a girls, boys, mens and womans restroom in it. It is nice that they are close but they are constant problems logistical and maintenance. Most teachers stop as a group after lunch or specials (which they have to travel inside for).

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

I have loved being able to decorate better than I can in the building (i.e. putting up curtains and no concrete bricks). After 2 1/2 years as team leader and constant interruptions, I am totally looking forward to being left alone. Thanks, y'all!